Close

Default Tire Pressure Decal - 1981 Mustang

Working on accumulating parts needed for my 1981 Carriage Roof restoration, which began this week. I have been unable to find the tire pressure decal for the 1981 model year. Below is a pic of the tire pressure decal for 1982; can someone who has a 1981 Mustang compare the tire pressure decal on their car to this one, and let me know if there are any differences? I can use the 1982 version as a base to make one for my 81 Carriage Roof (or if there aren't any differences, even better). Thanks in advance.

Attachment 136648

No one with a 1981 Mustang with tire pressure decal intact who can help here?

That is not something that I collect, else I would have posted some for you.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    That is not something that I collect, else I would have posted some for you.
    Thanks FoxChassis. Surely there is someone in this community who has an 81 Mustang with the tire pressure decal intact who can help...

Shall I make a picture of my79 label tomorrow?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Shall I make a picture of my79 label tomorrow?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk
    Thanks for offering, but no need. Aside from the fact that it is likely different from the 1981 version, the 1979 tire pressure decal is readily available from the major Mustang parts vendors so if I needed one I could easily source a pic on their web sites. Unfortunately the 1981 version is not available from any of the Mustang vendors I am familiar with.

Apparently a pic of one is hard to come by here as well.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    Thanks for offering, but no need. Aside from the fact that it is likely different from the 1981 version, the 1979 tire pressure decal is readily available from the major Mustang parts vendors so if I needed one I could easily source a pic on their web sites. Unfortunately the 1981 version is not available from any of the Mustang vendors I am familiar with.

Apparently a pic of one is hard to come by here as well.
    Do we know if the decal was different in '81? Its possible the 'D9' type decal was used from '79-'81.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Do we know if the decal was different in '81? Its possible the 'D9' type decal was used from '79-'81.
    Yes we do know; and no, it's not possible. Tire pressure is listed on the 1979 decal by engine size. The engine options for the 1979 Mustang (2.3L, 2.3L turbo, 2.8L, 5.0L) were completely different from the engine options for the 1981 Mustang (2.3L, 3.3L, 4.2L). Therefore, the 1981 decal must be different from the 1979 decal.

Of course, if someone would actually post a pic of the 1981 decal, we would all know...

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Yes we do know; and no, it's not possible. Tire pressure is listed on the 1979 decal by engine size. The engine options for the 1979 Mustang (2.3L, 2.3L turbo, 2.8L, 5.0L) were completely different from the engine options for the 1981 Mustang (2.3L, 3.3L, 4.2L). Therefore, the 1981 decal must be different from the 1979 decal.

Of course, if someone would actually post a pic of the 1981 decal, we would all know...
    Wow that's right, completely different. The only one I know with an '81 Mustang is user '2112COBRA.' Unfortunately he hasn't logged on in ages, but you could send him an email.

My local pick and pull has 81 mustang, will try and get there this weekend. For some reason can't upload photos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Finally let me upload

Just realized no doors.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    Just realized no doors.
    Isn't the tire pressure decal on the b-pillar, not the door?

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Isn't the tire pressure decal on the b-pillar, not the door?
    Correct; it’s on the door frame on the passenger side, I believe below the door latch striker.

Will ck this weekend

Will ck this weekend

Thanks very much; will hope for success. Hopefully it is intact and legible.

Thanks very much; will hope for success. Hopefully it is intact and legible.
    1st pic was located passenger side, 2nd pic was on driver's door I think, both doors on ground. Was a nice little coupe at one point. I think it was tan interior based on seat belt color. Hope this helps you.

1st pic was located passenger side, 2nd pic was on driver's door I think, both doors on ground. Was a nice little coupe at one point. I think it was tan interior based on seat belt color. Hope this helps you.
    Thanks very much; this is helpful and gives me something to start working with. One thing that seems odd is that the decal seems to have been mis-cut; the bottom of the previous decal is at the top and the bottom of this decal is cut off.

If anyone else has another example, please post.

Thanks again for your effort to help me with this; I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Un edited pic