Close

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 84 Turbo GT Vert View Post
    I did a thing... no more paying for registrations! No more paying for State Inspections!

Attachment 137289
    And the only drawback is you are limited on the number of miles it can drive per year? I think that's how it works here.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Rolled 1,000 miles in the 83gt since registering it but today I achieved over 20 mpg. let’s face it though I tried like hell to do it. Now the car is basically ready for daily driving(other than the ac not working) I told myself if I couldn’t achieve at least 20 mpg I’d have to rethink things. Hooray for me. I am hoping to try the edelbrock Avs2 500 cfm but at $500 I’m not in a hurry. Does anyone on here have any experience with the Avs2 carbs, I’m interested in performance and mpg thoughts.
    Happy 4th everyone.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Was able to recharge the battery, brought it up to operating temperature, turn it back around in driveway, planning to put it up For Sale real soon. Need to get $6,500. I know I could ask $14K-15K like everbody else, but its not showroom. 1 repaint since new, PS, PB, Console, Alloys, Black on Black, rare zero option car, Radio/Antenna/Speaker delete. Stone-stock, engine always in, Motorcraft parts, original exhaust, Full Emissions, etc Drive it 500 miles then get it State Inspected. Fun car, waiting to be brought to the Next Level.
    PM for pics
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 07-28-2022 at 04:04 AM. Reason: added text

July 9 marked 42 years of owning the weekly driver 79 Cobra.
    Thankfully runs great again oil still full or near after 220 miles.
    No less than 20 mpg driving easy or hard. May jet carb down a step with no turbo.
    Keeping a hawk eye on the engine oil dipstick and rear view mirror for smoke.
    Am slowly expanding its flight- er- driving envelope away from home.
    Almost like breaking in the engine again.
    Non a/c black car is a summer hot box.

FEP Senior Member

Looked at it Friday. 13 years this month for me!

It's coming along nicely. Name:  received_711631366570400.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  67.9 KB

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Successful brake job on Thursday! Took all day, due to some of the previous owner's parts not being correct, and of course the two hour delay for rain (and multiple trips to the parts stores for sockets I have "somewhere, I swear.") Today I discovered my heater controls are damaged and I can only change the vents by pulling on the switch as I move it. Going to have to source one of those, now.
    2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD
    2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    1985 Ford Mustang GT

Put the front fenders/grille/lights/hood/bumper back on the car. Fired it up and drove it down the street. It is not street legal so i only went like 300ft down the street and back. It drove fine, was happy about that. I might have taken it further but it has no exhaust, only X pipe so it's very loud.
    i am going to the RMV on Monday, going to apply for a MA title and get the process started to get it street legal.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Pulled my spark plugs and gapped ‘em and cleaned them as well. They were the 1st thing I replaced after getting the car so lots of messing with the tuning, a change of carb, more tuning…..it did have a miss lately but it seems better. I’ll find out tomorrow.
    Pulled the drivers door panel off as it stopped opening from the inside. Figured I’d pop the dent out while in there but there’s a crash bar or something in my way so not that way I guess. Got my opener opening again put it back together and called it a day.
    But I keep thinking about a 351 swap

Got it out of the trailer and drove it for the first time in nearly a year. Stopped at a Menards up the street and this cute girl who works there said "Nice car", I thanked her and said you're not bad yourself.

Checked the engine oil today. Still full 380 mile mark after disconnecting turbo oil drain line to block.
    The biggest shot in the dark zero cost major result repair i have ever done.
    Would have burned 20 qts of motor oil driving that far last year.

Drove car 100 miles yesterday morning to a swap meet, afternoon air show (Blue Angels), then to Woodward Ave to watch evening cruisers.
    While I was pumping gas, a delivery driver nodded smiled and gave the thumbs up to the car.
    The major annual Dream Cruise is a month away. Classics and spectators will start picking up above the normal weekend action.
    Mystified why ricer cars that pop very loudly like guns upon deaccell is popular but more power to them.

No freeway driving yet with the car..looks like that will happen soon prob at the 500 mile mark.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Checked the engine oil today. Still full 380 mile mark after disconnecting turbo oil drain line to block.
    The biggest shot in the dark zero cost major result repair i have ever done.
    Would have burned 20 qts of motor oil driving that far last year.

Drove car 100 miles yesterday morning to a swap meet, afternoon air show (Blue Angels), then to Woodward Ave to watch evening cruisers.
    While I was pumping gas, a delivery driver nodded smiled and gave the thumbs up to the car.
    The major annual Dream Cruise is a month away. Classics and spectators will start picking up above the normal weekend action.
    Mystified why ricer cars that pop very loudly like guns upon deaccell is popular but more power to them.

No freeway driving yet with the car..looks like that will happen soon prob at the 500 mile mark.
    Glad to hear you are not using oil any more
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks Massacre
    Purpose of postings and followups is maybe will help someone else.
    There are other posts around the net but nothing about this turbo oddness or a positive fix.
    A new turbo prob would have the same result and that is what most have done.
    Or suggest oil ring damage, valve seals and guides, head gaskets, cracked head, additives, engine rebuild or replacement.
    Took a year to nail it but is rewarding to have done that without spending big money and a ton of work.
    The high vol oil pump was not a good choice when engine was rebuilt. Std turbo pump next time.
    If it aint broke dont fix it. Or fool around and ruin good parts. Did sparingly use a can of Seafoam spray.

Met a gentleman at a car show Friday. He drove a 1980 Firebird 301 turbo. 800 cfm q-jet was std.
    Same thing happened to him. Was down south when it happened. Had it towed home.

FEP Senior Member

The oil pressure sending unit on my '86 V6 finally got tired. 37 years in the field was enough. I swapped in a new one, so my gauge works again. Easy enough to do. I let the car idle a bit until it reached operating temperature.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Rebuilding an 8.8 to swap into this project pace car. This rear end was originally pulled from my old 88gt because it made some bad grinding noises when turning right (or was it left? ) I figured the damaged part would be apparent, but evidently not. I thought for sure it was a bad bearing but they all looked fine. We pulled a chunk of bearing race out of it, but that must have come from a previous repair because these were all intact. The rear had been updated with 3.73 gears and forged axles, but otherwise stock. The clutches were pretty worn but the car was still leaving two stripes when we yanked it out of the 88. I didn't measure lash but it felt fine. It didn't have any gear whine that I recall. It's getting all new bearings, seals and clutch packs.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Got some color on the 5.0L block.

Name:  IMG_3141.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  207.5 KB
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

R & R'd the rear u-joint.

Drive to usual spot on M-! to watch evening weekend cruiser cars 7p-10p.
    First time car was driven cross town via xway in a year.
    Ave 62 mph usual 'ferry' speed across town.
    Checked oil at destination. Still full after 500 miles.
    On the way home, fuel gauge cycled up and down then down for the count.
    Was ok had at least 8 gal purchased before the 75 mile round trip.
    Low fuel light was on so the module and wiring was ok up front.
    Later, stopped in a HD parking lot and did some slow circles and hard weaving to see if float was stuck. No change.
    Once home, reached under car, disconnected and reconnected tank sender connector 2x.
    The simple stuff first.
    Gauge is working again, read full tank which was about right. Will know for real next time driven.

VDO voltmeter works but was not lit tonite. Will check bulb and connections next week.

I haven't done much of any work on my car since I quit racing 8 years ago. Funny how when you just putt-putt around town things don't break like they do when you hammer down the drag strip every week.

When I was racing I was always working on the car and more often than not it was swapping out the transmission. When you run a stock T5 behind a 408 on sticky tires that T5 is going to break a lot. So I always kept a spare ready to swap in when one broke so I didn't miss the next week's racing. At first I was doing all this work on the floor but I wasn't getting any younger and that crawling around under the car was killing me. So I put a lift in the garage and that really helped. I think by then I could swap transmissions in about an hour.

But as I said the racing ended 8 years ago, and so did the constant working on my car. Until recently. My son restored a '67 Mustang a couple years ago and when he bought it he had no engine or transmission for it so I gave him a stock 351w I had and my spare T5. Now he's doing some more upgrades on the car and while it's apart he wants to eliminate the possibility of the transmission being the cause of a vibration issue he's been having at highway speed. It's driving him crazy and he's done everything else we can think of. He was going to buy a new T5 and hope that took care of the problem.

After I thought about it I told him that instead of spending all that money and maybe still not finding the problem, why don't we swap the T5 he has now with the one I have in my car. At least then he'd know if the problem is in the transmission or not.

Well this takes me back to my roots because he has his '67 on the lift with no motor, transmission, or steering so I can't use the lift.

So I'm back working on the ground, which at my age (71) isn't all that much fun. But on the bright side I got my transmission pulled and his installed without any real problems. It's been a long time since I did something like that and in a way it was fulfilling to know I can at least still do it if necessary. By the way, my car is sitting on 4 jack stands which you can't see in the picture. The blocking under the tires is just my failsafe, but the car is rock solid on the stands so it's really not needed.

I've been wanting to reconfigure my exhaust and thought maybe while I have it apart would be a good time, but upon farther consideration I decided to wait till I can use the lift again as I'll need to cut, fit and weld some pipes and that will be much easier when I'm able to stand under the car. For now re-installing what I have is much easier.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

^^^ couple of really sweet Mustangs there! Wow

Today i moved everything over to the other side of the garage, so i can pull my Zephyr in the garage in the other bay with the front bumper on it, and still be able to open the drawers on my tool box. That is how small my garage is lmao.
    Gotta put her back up in the air to install/figure out the exhaust and drop the gas tank and modify the fuel pump hanger, trying to weld in 3/8" lines.
    Last edited by massacre; 07-27-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Name:  thumbnail (6).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  28.0 KBName:  thumbnail (7).jpg
Views: 141
Size:  24.2 KB

I had a set of 18" mustang wheels so I got a set of wheel adaptors (Porsche are 5X130mm) and I doing a 996 Big brake conversion (some parts a the machine shop now so should have it done soon and on the ground
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Put on some period correct emblems and decals. Even with the mystery finish (which it turns out is Toyota Calvary Blue,) this should at least cut down on the "what car is that" and "is that a Gremlin" questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Shoegazer GT; 08-01-2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I now know what color this car is!
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD
    1985 Ford Mustang GT

Had to replace the heater core in my 79 coupe. Not nearly so bad as what most have to endure to do this since my dash is an aluminum custom made one, not stock. Really easy access to the core. Hardest part was draining all the coolant to change it all out with fresh stuff. Those block drains always create a mess of coolant as it splashes off all the various bits in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoegazer GT View Post
    Put on some period correct emblems and decals. Even with the mystery finish (which it turns out is Toyota Calvary Blue,) this should at least cut down on the "what car is that" and "is that a Gremlin" questions.
    How could ANYONE mistake a Mustang for a Gremlin??? I like both cars, but, really? Wow!

Well, today I washed mine. Cars and Coffee in Creswell tomorrow morning...
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    How could ANYONE mistake a Mustang for a Gremlin???
    That kid needed a role model.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD
    1985 Ford Mustang GT

Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast