Close

Default Transmission vibrating hard at idle

Hey guys and gals,
    Well my mustang is back to a daily driver, finally. My Lexus IS finally down for the count, needs a complete overhaul.
    It has been a while since I have driven it, was mainly for club events and car shows. However I’m noticing things I have never noticed before. Could be gremlins from sitting for a while.

Anyways, the problem, I noticed yesterday that when I was jockeying around vehicles in the driveway I noticed at idle I had the usual vibration from the engine and tranny in the car, but noticed the transmission was louder like something was worn or out of balance. I checked underneath to see if it was a worn transmission mission mount or something else. Transmission mount looks fine, surprisingly not damaged or torn, was replaced back in 2000 or 2001. Notice one side of the transmission crossmember, the rubber is rotten from fluid leak. Other side looks good and hard, not soft. The bigger part I noticed was the driveshaft. Long story short, my front yoke on my driveshaft is one from a AOD with the ring balancer, not the normal yoke. And from the looks of it it would look like a worn harmonic balancer, with rubber protruding. Looks like I still have more work to do, but did Ford use the AOD yoke on a manual transmission? With all the research I have done with my car in the past 25 years. My car was built with a V8 and a manual transmission, so this was never a swap thing.

Motor mounts are new, replaced them last year. Replaced the front a arm bushings with poly U, along with isolators this November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

I don't think that drive shaft came on your car...assuming you have a T-5 and not AOD now. What part of the Clear Lake area are you in?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Default Transmission vibrating hard at idle

Steve it’s me Ben

Might remember Space City Mustangs. I had the Holley with AFR heads and Paxton unit.

Have the Holley intake and AFR heads but no Paxton and no block. Block cracked and blower got misplaced at Eli’s shop.
    Last edited by SLow5.0; 01-22-2022 at 08:12 PM.
    Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

I ended up finishing the entire suspension energy polyurethane bushings and spring isolators all around, koni yellows in the rear and KYB AGX in the front. Replaced the crossmember with a stiffler unit

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

​Stiffler X member is a nice piece
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    ​Stiffler X member is a nice piece
    Gives me room for growth, works for the T5, and TKX in my future

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Quote Originally Posted by SLow5.0 View Post
    Steve it’s me Ben

Might remember Space City Mustangs. I had the Holley with AFR heads and Paxton unit.

Have the Holley intake and AFR heads but no Paxton and no block. Block cracked and blower got misplaced at Eli’s shop.
    Yes, I remember you Ben...still would like to get those vert seat belt hangers if you haven't tossed them. Man that bites about the blower...and the block. What are you planning with it now?
    Last edited by bwguardian; 01-23-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Still have the hangers in my car. Just in case I ran into you. For right now the engine setup, I’m using a back up engine I had. The blower setup I don’t know what to do. Would like to get another short block, a little more bulletproof, however with the amount of money I spent on that setup, a coyote with control pack would be about the same price, and give me more room to grow.

As of now my coupe is back for daily use. Using a 96’ explorer long block, with stock mustang cam, 1.7 cobra rockers, and beehive springs from Alex Parts, put in mustang oil pan and matching pickup with new oil pump. The intake I have choices, initially was using my old cobra intake, but ending up using a tubular GT40 which I got for a steal, but also have the explorer intake as well that came with the motor.

After doing all the work I did, ended up cutting out the 3” chrome pipes out back due to tire rubbing. The rear wheels and tires got upgraded slightly 17x10.5. And running Nitto 315 out back. They are tucked in nicely but gives it more of a hot rod look.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

BTW: I did replace the Novi 1000 unit with a Vortech V2 s trim. Basically had the cost of the plus had to get a new front supercharger mount plate and tensioner setup. I still have the entire bracket setup for the Novi Unit with hopes of it either being found or I get a good deal on at 2000 unit.

Benny
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300