Close

Default Accessory Light Group Delete on 1985 GT - headlight problems

working on my 1985 Saleen clone.

Trey and I determined that it would be best to remove the accessory light group (fog lamps) from the car since the Saleen fascia and the GT light openings do not line up.

Trey took out all of the fog light related stuff. All of the plugs and wiring related to lights looked to be in great shape . It probably hardly ever saw any use as it still had original to 1985 lights in it. Most of its ~14K were likely all on a race track given its history.

There were some problems with the harness up by the core support that Trey fully addressed when he was preparing to assemble the front of the car.

It has brand new never tested Motorcraft headlight and dimmer switches in it. I have no idea if any of it worked before it was torn down for a heavy redo.

The problem I am having is headlights. I can pull back on the dimmer switch and light up all 4, but I cannot get the headlights to come on low beam or high beam. All of the park lights and tail lights work. The instrument cluster lights work.

Trey and I are figuring it is probably a faulty dimmer switch. I tracked down a new one from Napa but I have not carved out time to install it yet.

I wanted to get some thoughts about the correct switches to use if removing the accessory light group so I have a little more info the next time I'm out in the garage working on it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There is a relay for the fog and/or driving lights that will not allow them to come on while the high beams are on. That relay is of course wired back into your headlight wiring for the low and high beam operation. This could be causing your issue...and it may be an easy fix as I seem to recall a mod to over ride it...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I replaced the headlight switch on my Saleen a couple years ago. I found a no’s motorcraft switch and when doing my research I found that the switches are different between the light group cars and the non light group cars. I am not sure what the difference is but I thought I would throw that out there. Hope you figure it out.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Power Member

The light group switch adds 2 more pins on the end. The 2 pins is a separate plug as well. I'm not sure if the light group one will work for both. It might.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles