Close

Default Headlight dimmer switch

Hey guys, been a long time since I last posted. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. My 86’ mustang, I’m trying to get it back on the road, after some major work. I ran into a snafu, after replacing my water temp gauge on the A pillar, and getting the gauges to light up. The dimmer switch doesn’t want to light up the dash gauges or aftermarket gauges, and of course the tail lights. After some messing around. The lights seem to come on when the release button for the knob is pressed.

After figuring this out and ruling it was the dimmer switch, I purchased a new dimmer. Plugged everything and still with the same issue. Only difference is I notice if I have the switch not fully out, the lights will come on on the dash and headlights.

Has anyone experienced this? If so where should I be looking? I have done an inspection of the wires, done wiggle tests, fuse check, and nothing.

Need to get this car button up so I can drive it and start work on my other car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Sorry for the late response. Sure enough it was fuse number 4. I didn’t pulled the fuse initially cause it looked good and could still see the fuse element wasn’t blown. When I pulled the fuse, it was slightly melted on one side and blew at the bottom of the of the Z element. Usually they blow in the middle, whether the element is U shaped or Z shaped, not on one side like I saw.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300