Close

Default fuel hose question'88 LX 5.0 -Car won't start- replaced fuel tank

I dropped out the old fuel tank due to a sudden fuel leak under the tank. (dripping out of the plastic cover vents on bottom)
    The internal tank baffle was broken loose, and the fuel sender float was nearly gone (worn away)
    Replaced the pump sock, neck seal, and sender, along with a new tank.
    Installed everything back together (P.I.A., but finally done) now it won't start.
    It cranks/turns over, I hear the pump when the key is turned on, and pressed the inertia switch in the trunk just in case.
    Is it even possible the rubber hose lines to the filter could have been put on in reverse.
    I don't think so since they appeared to be different sizes.

Any ideas to help get it back running again?

If you can hear the pump prime, the inertia switch should be fine.
    I would pull a fuel line from the filter and see if you can get fuel to flow by turning the key to on (not start).
    Most fuel filters are designed to flow a certain way. Usually there is an arrow.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    If you can hear the pump prime, the inertia switch should be fine.
    I would pull a fuel line from the filter and see if you can get fuel to flow by turning the key to on (not start).
    Most fuel filters are designed to flow a certain way. Usually there is an arrow.

That is a great idea!
    THANK YOU for the reply and the idea.

I'm so frustrated I didn't think of that and should have
    I just need to find a hose long enough to spill into a container to contain it.
    The fuel filter is in a rusty holder, but I do recall the flow arrow on the filter itself.
    I try this in the daylight tomorrow. Too bad the temps will be much colder, but this should tell me what is happening with the fuel flow.
    Thanks again...I'll let you know the results

Well it's raining today...
    so I won't be going out there to try removing one of the hoses off the fuel filter to see if it is pumping fuel.

However,
    I was thinking if the fuel tank baffle isolates the fuel pump in that small box...
    Would I need to fill the tank up higher than three gallons to get it to overflow into the baffle?
    It might just be fuel starved...Anyone think that might be the issue?

Giving that further thought...it should not be the problem.
    When the tank runs low the fuel would still need to be pumped to the engine, not to get starved.
    Last edited by richstang; 12-18-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Finally got back to this mess after a couple of weeks of cold wet weather and the holidays.

I pulled the outlet hose off the filter and place a drain hose in its place into an oil pan.
    Got back in the car and turned the key on (not to crank it). Fuel sprayed all over the place despite trying to contain it.
    Even with the mess I was happy to hear and see the pump was working. I reattached the hose to filter and cranked it over.
    It ran really rough for a second and then cleared up and ran normal again. (Air in the line???)
    There's no leaks and the gauge appears to be working again too!

What a relief!
    Now it's back on the road and I'm adding more miles to the 254,000 it already has.
    Last edited by richstang; 01-04-2022 at 06:28 PM.