Close

Thread: Capri Air Dam

Default Capri Air Dam

Hi there guys I need help here. I just got a 1985 Mercury Capri RS, by the tag at the radiator core it says CRS, Capri RS. Arizona car. I used to have 1984 RS 5.0 which got totalled in 1996. So finally found one in pretty good shape. So the question here is. Looking at the picture of the car, I still have not transported to me yet. Its at my sons house. The front air damn does not look like the one that was on my 84 capri, one piece dam. This one looks like the motorcraft aftermarket. Here is a picture. Can some one give some more info. Thanks:

EdgarName:  Green Capri front.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  13.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wickdgt; 03-06-2021 at 09:57 AM.

The one on the 85 is a one peice air dam or does it have the fender extensions? The one peice with out fender extension is aftermarket. All the stock ones an new reproduction ones have fender extensions.

Here is the fender extension. It looks like the previous owner hit something.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by wickdgt; 03-06-2021 at 11:36 AM.

The air dam looks like a stock or reproduction one. Is it fiberglass or urethane? Yeah somebody hit something.. Might be an easy fix though. Mine had the same thing happen an all it was is the little bracket from the radiator support to the fender got bent. Bent it back straight an straightened the back out.

This was the bracket that bentName:  Screenshot_20210306-125953_eBay.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  48.5 KB

Ok thanks I'll look into it when it gets here.

As stated above, the air dam appears to OEM Ford. It appears as mentioned that something is out of whack or the front air dam needs more adjustment to fit properly. It might also be that since it appears it has been repainted, that maybe all the OEM parts and pieces are not currently installed which happens quite often due to the complexity of the front air dam when people are making repairs.

Also, I am not aware of a Ford Motorsports one piece front air dam that mimics the PC/Cobra/GT/RS front air dam. The only Motorsports front air dam that I recall is the lower air dam to mimic the late 84-86 GT lower air dam with fog lights. That is a one piece urethane air dam that Ford did offer as a Motorsports part, but it is totally different than the early air dam and doesn't fit the 79-86 Capri nor the 79-82 Mustang front bumper correctly. If there was a PC/Cobra/GT/RS Motorsport air dam that would be cool and I would love to see pictures if possible.

Nice purchase with the Capri. I am sure you can't wait to get it home!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you guys for the info.

No problem, post some more pics when you get the car home

I actually have one of those air dams. I believe it was made for the guys who wanted a dam on a stock nose mustang. There are a few differences, but also no clear way to attach it, which is why I never used it.
    Theodore J. Garbera, 1985 Mercury Capri RS

It looks like a factory airdam where someone may have tapped a curb. Along the top of the airdam, there are tabs that should fit in a grove where the upper cover meets the airdam. When the bottom of the airdam is pressed in to a hard object, like a rock or curb, the top will pop out since it is only held in due friction. There are no bolts that hold it in. You can see the tops of these tabs in the gap along the top of the airdam. To put them back in place, you can remove the mounts the connect the airdam to bottom of the radiator support (there is one about 18" wide in the center and two smaller ones to the left and right of it). That should give you enough slack to put them into place.

79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981