Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Don't buy FiTech

I looked at the reviews. Both + and -. Here is my experiences to date:

Purchased kit with a rebate so it sat on my bedroom floor for several months to take advantage of the rebate timing. So technically out of the one year warranty time frame.

Installed kit. It was easy I admit. Car ran well. But...

Instructions were vague at best. Had to contact them to know how to adjust stuff (IAC steps, etc because it's NOT in the included information), etc.

Approx one month/1000 miles in the high pressure hose feeding the system from the Forcefuel tank ruptured. Literally blew out the side. I replaced the hose chunk with one I had in hand so no warranty claim. But, failure #1. On a brand new kit.

Then one morning I went outside and the touchscreen face had fallen off the handheld. It was hot, but not THAT hot. Two rubber bands at least held it in place so I could 'touch' accurately.

Then, the handheld unit quit. It won't light up/power up. I am at 9 months of use since first engine start up, less than 3000 miles driven. This handheld is the only way to make computer adjustments or see what's going on.

I contact FiTech. 2-5 days between any replies. I call and have to hang up after being on hold for a while.

Car runs good, but reliability appears to be a genuine issue. Very upset about it

Waiting to hear if they will stand behind their product AT ALL or if I have to but a new handheld.

At this point I would go for almost Any other brand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 12-07-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Every time I read a post like this, it reassures my decision to stick with a basic carb. Yes, there are a lot of advantages to efi... but my main concern is that my car runs when I want to take it out. If there's a problem with my carb, I've got a toolbox with spare parts. Typically, I'm just in need of a bowl gasket or something simple.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

That sux man, sorry to hear that.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    you must be so pissed, i know i'd be
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I had to look close at the title as my son is currently having a problem with FTI over a pair of AFR cylinder heads, but I see your problem is with a completely different company.

By the way I would advise to never buy anything from FTI.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Sorry, I'd be really frustrated too. EFI promises so much doesn't it?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I admit, when running it's been great. I got 22+ mpg my last trip to the coast. With a little play time...
    But I've had 3 issues in less than 9 months/3000 Miles. Hard to really trust it.

And waiting 2-5 days for a response is crazy.

Yup. Super frustrated.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

I am pretty happy with the MSD Atomic EFI on my 79 coupe. I have heard of a lot of people struggling with the FITech systems to get them to work right. Others swear by them.

Haven't had any issues with mine. But I see lots of problems mentioned on fb FiTech pages, which I suppose is normal to hear the complaints. Nobody logs in to say they have no problems. Still it puts that bug in your ear, doubt in your mind. Sorry to hear about the problems with yours.

It seems with the FiTech people either love it with zero issue-or a complete 180
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch

Well, the good news is they will replace the handheld unit under a 'customer satisfaction' clause.
    I applaud them for that. I guess time will tell. For now I will stay with it and do my best to make it work well.
    I just wish the kit had a lot more printed material for trouble shooting, adjustments, etc. One either has to see if they've posted a video or go to other automotive sites for tuning info.
    Just not the way I'd do it I guess.
    At this point, I'm still a 'buy another brand' person. Heck, the hose that failed less than 1000 miles in?? If money were not an issue I'd go with the Atomic MSD I think. But, I bought this and will make the best of it I can.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I am pretty happy with the MSD Atomic EFI on my 79 coupe. I have heard of a lot of people struggling with the FITech systems to get them to work right. Others swear by them.
    Well, the good news is they will replace the handheld unit under a 'customer satisfaction' clause.
    I applaud them for that. I guess time will tell. For now I will stay with it and do my best to make it work well.
    I just wish the kit had a lot more printed material for trouble shooting, adjustments, etc. One either has to see if they've posted a video or go to other automotive sites for tuning info.
    Just not the way I'd do it I guess.
    At this point, I'm still a 'buy another brand' person. Heck, the hose that failed less than 1000 miles in?? If money were not an issue I'd go with the Atomic MSD I think. But, I bought this and will make the best of it I can.

Very true.
    If you get a good run of parts all is well. But I think like many I am in the other camp

Correction- they MIGHT replace the handheld. Now a different rep isn't being so accommodating... We shall see.

Got the official notice today they will replace it. Otherwise it would have been $156. They are also sending a different cable (maybe it has an updated plug?) That they charge $50 for.
    So it would have cost me $206 to replace on my own.
    Glad they're making good on it, bit if I had it to do over again I think I would have made another choice.

New User

I HATE FiTech's wiring and their screen. The cable that connects the screen is so fragile. Their wiring is just cumbersome and just not laid out well. I NEVER EVER use the hose they supply with their kits. Started an install this week and I grabbed all new AN hoses and fittings for the install. That push lock is crap imho. Real AN is too easy to make and much better choice. Ive done a couple of the FiTechs and a couple of the Snipers from Holley. I chose the Sniper for my 351w Foxbody . Im pleased. Just seems like we've had better luck with the Sniper systems..

Quote Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
    I NEVER EVER use the hose they supply with their kits.
    The hose that failed wasn't the fuel line they provided - it was the little 2-3" long piece inside the Forcefuel unit that connects the HP fuel pump to the outlet heading to the injectors.

A hose that short had to have a pretty significant issue to burst where it did.

Every time i see a post like this I like to go to the product web page and see for myself what they show for products ,tech, install and questions.
    https://fitechefi.com/resources-and-support/
    The site seems to be very informative and easy to follow. Hoses dont know how far they travel and new ones can fail for any number of reasons, could have been assembled by a worker in a hurry or a hundred other reasons you never know. I know a few people with their systems and they have few reported problems, about as many as when they used carbs really. Sorry for your issues with the brand but they would still be a choice for me.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

New User

Well the system I installed a week ago killed the pump . They were using the Bosch knock off versions. (new tank no trash, proper filter, lines cleaned after making them)...Not the first one of these pumps to crap out on us at our shop. I did notice the newer Fitech kit I started installing on another car has a different fuel pump now. Guess they've been having issues and are trying yo remedy. Probably next week before I start this other hunker

Quote Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
    Well the system I installed a week ago killed the pump . They were using the Bosch knock off versions. (new tank no trash, proper filter, lines cleaned after making them)...Not the first one of these pumps to crap out on us at our shop. I did notice the newer Fitech kit I started installing on another car has a different fuel pump now. Guess they've been having issues and are trying yo remedy. Probably next week before I start this other hunker
    Have not yet had an issue with my pump. However, having read of the problems that others have experienced, I have purchased a spare fuel pump(Bosch 044), as well as the other common parts; fuel pressure reg, temp sensor, TPS, IAC and O2 sensors. I keep them in my trunk with a tool kit. Not exactly how I envisioned it, but I'll be glad if I never have to use any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Have not yet had an issue with my pump. However, having read of the problems that others have experienced, I have purchased a spare fuel pump(Bosch 044), as well as the other common parts; fuel pressure reg, temp sensor, TPS, IAC and O2 sensors. I keep them in my trunk with a tool kit. Not exactly how I envisioned it, but I'll be glad if I never have to use any of it.
    Do you happen to know the other part numbers off hand?

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Do you happen to know the other part numbers off hand?

This video talks about the parts and numbers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfrW...l=mechtrician1
    and here's a list:
    Oxygen sensor: Bosch #17014
    CTS: Chevrolet AC Delco 15326386
    TPS: Chevrolet AC Delco 17106681
    IAC: Chevrolet AC Delco 19333273
    Fuel Pressure Regulator 4 bar (58psi): Bosch - 0280160575
    Fuel Pressure Regulator 3 bar (43psi): Bosch 3 - 0280160557, 43psi regulator for the Go Street and Mean Street units.

Last edited by gmatt; 12-17-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Fitech has a youtube channel with installation and tuning tips. https://www.youtube.com/c/FiTechEFImedia

Nifty, thanks!
    I will be making the best of it. I prefer printed material to watching videos, so that is partly my issue, but I have it and will work with it.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I had to look close at the title as my son is currently having a problem with FTI over a pair of AFR cylinder heads, but I see your problem is with a completely different company.

By the way I would advise to never buy anything from FTI.
    He is a scum bag!

So.... Deep breath...

Yes, lots of issues at first, failed hose, in accurate temp sensor, handheld unit failure, etc.

BUT, it now seems to be doing pretty well. I've done more research, looked a lot at their tech stuff. I still have a hanging idle for a few seconds most times, it still idles at 1500+ for 5-6 seconds when I start it warm, but those things I am learning to live with.

It's been nice to go outside this morning at 33°, starts right up, hunts for a few seconds, then settles in. Drive off about 20 seconds later with pretty decent cold manners. Driven it as low as 25°, ad hot as about 100°, so not bad.

Power delivery seems great. Fuel economy I think is better than a carb. Response is excellent. Watching the handheld while driving is fun - I set it to show tach, water temp, AFR, MAP, TPI.

Would I maybe opt for a different system if I did it all over again? Maybe. Probably. But, I paid less than many, in some ways got what I paid for.

Now almost exactly a year later I have close to 5k on it. Thrilled to be carb free.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 03-12-2022 at 05:48 PM.

I hope to get my new 347 assembled and installed in my 79 PC before summer and I have Fitech that I plan on running on it. I hope things go well and overall everything works pretty well. I snagged my Fitech off Ebay for less than retail and it's brand new in the box. I will run it with the intake fuel pump, etc. from a later model and hope that it all plays well together. My current distributor should allow the Fitech to control the ignition timing as well, so we'll see how all of that works out. If for some reason I am not happy with the setup, then my plan will be to swap it out for the Holley Sniper setup with Holley Sniper Distributor too. Hope it doesn't come to that, but time will tell.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller