Close

Hybrid View

Default Maximum Motorsports 79-85 strut tower brace questions

Hey all, I was going to order this brace and was reading that it might interfere with some aftermarket intakes because they move carb and air cleaner forward. I have a Edelbrock performer rpm part number 7121 on my car. Will this brace work with my intake? Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Hopefully Jack can post up to give you the information you need. I have the same brace and intake, but not quite installed yet.

Although the engine in the PC is missing the intake and carb currently and I could just set them in place as well as the brace . . . . If I can remember I will try to do that this weekend if you don't get confirmation before hand.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Hopefully Jack can post up to give you the information you need. I have the same brace and intake, but not quite installed yet.

Although the engine in the PC is missing the intake and carb currently and I could just set them in place as well as the brace . . . . If I can remember I will try to do that this weekend if you don't get confirmation before hand.
    Thanks Trey
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have the RPM Air Gap manifold with the strut brace and no issues.

I have a Professional Products Crosswind intake which is supposedly a knock-off of the RPM Air-Gap. Specs on Summit's website show about 3/4" difference in intake heights between my intake and the 7121, though not sure if the difference is in measuring points or actual physical difference. In my application, I had to modify the snorkel tubes on my air cleaner to fit below my MM strut tower brace. My solution is a bit overboard, but was trying to keep everything functional. I documented it in my build thread on page 5.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I had the Weiand Stealth, with a holly 600 cfm. fit no problem
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Thanks for all the replies guys, went ahead and ordered it. From what you all have said I can't see it not fitting. Everything is pretty standard on the car so I should be good to go. Hopefully Jack or Trey can confirm for sure to ease my mind lol. Also for any of my Canadian fox brothers if your looking for a great place to order parts from check out Western Motorsports out of Calgary. Great knowledgeable staff and always a pleasure to deal with.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Default upside of down?- strut brace bolts

If installing strut bar, one option is to install strut mount bolts upside down with nuts at top.
    A slim magnet head telescoping pocket magnetic tool may aid in installing the strut tower bolts this way.
    A small magnet on tool to fit inside the drilled holes to grip the bolts and pull them up thru the new tower holes.

Access to bolts or nuts for the bar are way up inside at the top of the tower reaching from the wheel well.
    Starting to thread the nuts by fingertip is a whole arm's length up there and in a sort of blind spot corner.

Mod makes things a bit easier should the brace need to be removed for working clearance.
    Had to remove it to get the 2.3's valve cover all the way off.
    Was still time consuming but had to be done.

I use hex head socket head allen head bolts upside down instead of regular. Use with T-handle hex wrench tool.
    A T-style hex wrench helps by extending the handle down where it can be turned easier.
    Plus it holds the bolt as well or better than a socket.
    Found it much easier when the nuts were up top, rather than in the strut tower.
    Could cover exposed nuts with vinyl caps.

When removing the strut mount bolts, the hex T handle tool found the bolt head pretty fast.
    A socket covers the bolt so is harder to guide into position by fingertips on the bolt head.
    That part was all feel because the wheels were left on, a time saver.

The hex tool grips a hex head pretty good. If not, temp tape them together for install.
    Have not tried this need to get a slim magnet tool.
    The magnet should be able to pull the tool and bolt up thru the hole.
    Installing bolt from bottom, with the tool on the bolt, act as pilots to reinstall brace.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    If installing strut bar, one option is to install strut mount bolts upside down with nuts at top.
    A slim magnet head telescoping pocket magnetic tool may aid in installing the strut tower bolts this way.
    A small magnet on tool to fit inside the drilled holes to grip the bolts and pull them up thru the new tower holes.

Access to bolts or nuts for the bar are way up inside at the top of the tower reaching from the wheel well.
    Starting to thread the nuts by fingertip is a whole arm's length up there and in a sort of blind spot corner.

Mod makes things a bit easier should the brace need to be removed for working clearance.
    Had to remove it to get the 2.3's valve cover all the way off.
    Was still time consuming but had to be done.

I use hex head socket head allen head bolts upside down instead of regular. Use with T-handle hex wrench tool.
    A T-style hex wrench helps by extending the handle down where it can be turned easier.
    Plus it holds the bolt as well or better than a socket.
    Found it much easier when the nuts were up top, rather than in the strut tower.
    Could cover exposed nuts with vinyl caps.

When removing the strut mount bolts, the hex T handle tool found the bolt head pretty fast.
    A socket covers the bolt so is harder to guide into position by fingertips on the bolt head.
    That part was all feel because the wheels were left on, a time saver.

The hex tool grips a hex head pretty good. If not, temp tape them together for install.
    Have not tried this need to get a slim magnet tool.
    The magnet should be able to pull the tool and bolt up thru the hole.
    Installing bolt from bottom, with the tool on the bolt, act as pilots to reinstall brace.

Good tip, thanks!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The product page for the MMSTB-2 states:

"The MMSTB-2 is designed for use with the OEM Ford intake manifold and air cleaner assembly. Some aftermarket intake manifolds move the carburetor location forward to equalize flow distribution to all cylinders in the engine. An example of this is the Edelbrock 2121 intake manifold. When the carburetor is moved forward by an aftermarket intake manifold the air cleaner assembly moves forward with it. This causes interference between the stock air cleaner assembly and the main tube of the MM Strut Tower Brace."

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/1...eted-P592.aspx

I would contact Edelbrock and ask them how far the 7121 intake manifold moves the carb forward on the engine compared to a stock Ford intake manifold. Of if they can't answer this question, ask them the relative fore/aft carb location between the 7121 and 2121 intake manifolds.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The product page for the MMSTB-2 states:

"The MMSTB-2 is designed for use with the OEM Ford intake manifold and air cleaner assembly. Some aftermarket intake manifolds move the carburetor location forward to equalize flow distribution to all cylinders in the engine. An example of this is the Edelbrock 2121 intake manifold. When the carburetor is moved forward by an aftermarket intake manifold the air cleaner assembly moves forward with it. This causes interference between the stock air cleaner assembly and the main tube of the MM Strut Tower Brace."

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/1...eted-P592.aspx

I would contact Edelbrock and ask them how far the 7121 intake manifold moves the carb forward on the engine compared to a stock Ford intake manifold. Of if they can't answer this question, ask them the relative fore/aft carb location between the 7121 and 2121 intake manifolds.
    Thanks for the advice Jack. Tried to call edlebrock but after 4 times and being on hold for 30+ minuets each time I gave up. Guess I will just wait and see when I recieve the brace. Only other thing that might help is if someone could measure from where abouts the brace bolts to pinch weld at firewall to center on bar. Should be able to get a good idea from that. Anyone willing to go check for me?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The STB on the car below needs to be moved back about another 0.25" as it currently hits the air cleaner assembly in the front.

The best reference point is to use the distributor cap. The vent cap is a good location to compare.

Name:  TopNoFilt small.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  296.7 KB

Name:  TopTapeMeas small.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  386.4 KB
    Jack Hidley

Ok, this is with tape measure sitting against firewall above the pinch weld.
    Attachment 136541
    Attachment 136542
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

So does changing or popping off the distributor cap require removal of the MM strut tower brace?
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogster View Post
    So does changing or popping off the distributor cap require removal of the MM strut tower brace?
    Good question
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Your air cleaning not being the larger OEM dual snorkle, should clear without any issues. The large dual snorkle is generally the clearance issues that I have seen with the STB.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

On my car it takes some fiddling, but I can remove the distributor cap w/ wires attached. There's just enough room to lift the cap up off the adapter, hold the contact down on the rotor with a screwdriver or putty knife (depending on which way its pointing), then slide the cap back and out from beneath the brace.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

On some cars, you have to remove the coil wire from the center of the cap. After that is removed, there is about 0.25" more vertical clearance, so the cap can be removed.
    Jack Hidley

I have an MSD distributor in mine and it came with a retainer plate for the wires on the top of the cap. I had to leave it off as it would not fit under the brace. Can't say if the cap will come off as I've not needed to do that yet, but gonna say it would be tight if it does. Probably would have to pull some of the wires first for sure.