Close

Default 84 Mustang 5.0 teardown Question

So I began top end teardown on my 84 yesterday, and found that the driver side rockers and top of head were bone dry! The other side had the usual pool of oil sitting on the rockers and the area wet with oil. I am worried that this suggests a major oiling problem on the driver side bank, but the motor didnt tick, and ran good. I bought this car 1 year ago, but have only driven 500 miles, and I assume 114K miles on the clock. Any idea of what is wrong?

My initial plan was to do a topend with afr heads, cam, intake etc, but now Im worried that the short block is potentially scrap.

Thanks alot of the input!

Pull the dizzy and put a priming tool in there and visually see if oil is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Pull the dizzy and put a priming tool in there and visually see if oil is coming up.

Thanks! I did that (with heads already off) and oil seems to pour out of lifters OK. Pushrods oil holes werent plugged, and I pulled a few rockers, and the wear surfaces look fine. I suppose that its ok then??

Thanks alot

Here is what the rockers looked like. Pretty dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would put it back together and then spin it over to see if you're getting oil up in there on all rockers. I would also take a closer look at those end plugs on that carburetor for leaks. Taking a last look...is that oil on those headers? I remember the 1984 year model having the cast exhaust manifolds and those look like the factory stainless shorty headers off a 1985+...maybe the later models like the 1984.5 had them, unless someone switched them out...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I would put it back together and then spin it over to see if you're getting oil up in there on all rockers. I would also take a closer look at those end plugs on that carburetor for leaks. Taking a last look...is that oil on those headers? I remember the 1984 year model having the cast exhaust manifolds and those look like the factory stainless shorty headers off a 1985+...maybe the later models like the 1984.5 had them, unless someone switched them out...
    Thanks. That is penetrating oil I sprayed on the bolts. Yes, I was told someone swapped the headers out. Are these decent headers?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Atengnr View Post
    Are these decent headers?

THX
    Better than the log manifolds, thats about it. lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Better than the log manifolds, thats about it. lol
    could someone show/tell me their fuel line routing from pump to carb? This motor has a metal line part way and someone routed a rubber hose from the line, and almost 360 around the dizzy, which can t be right. Thanks

The factory 85 and up headers are better than the heavy cast manifolds for sure as aforementioned. They are somewhat restrictive right as they come out of the mounting flange where they are pinched together adjacent to each attaching bolt.

The fuel line from the pump to the carburetor is one piece hard line...sounds like someone cut it and installed the rubber hose. I have a couple extra stainless steel lines somewhere, if I can put my hands on them I'll snap a pic.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Late Model Restoration shows a stainless steel version available made by Classic Tube. It comes out of the fuel pump, hooks around and comes up behind the power steering pump, over the water pump then up past the dizzy to the carb. I bought a stainless steel brake line kit for my truck and one line came with a wrong fitting. They replaced it, no questions asked. The fuel line will be a lot easier to route with the ps/ac bracket out of the way, if it isn’t alreaedy.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."