Close

Default headlight electrical guys help please

i got the H4 headlight conversion, but it didnt come with wiring harnesses for the high beams, which now have 3 prongs and used to have 2.

Can someone explain how to get a 3 prong(low beam) wiring harness to wire up to the high beam wires? as of right now, my drivers side high beam wiring harness has 2 wires, and the pass. side has 3, and both the low beams have 3.

I know i need to buy new wiring harnesses, but can i just split the wires off the old one onto the new one so power goes to both? Then what would i have to do with the old highbeam wires?

Mike Croke

You could try a parts store like NAPA for the pigtails. The pigtail should consist of the plastic connector and a few inches of wire from each pin that would allow you to splice to the existing wires.

I'd suggest that you run the lights on relays.
    - It will prevent them from flickering when the circuit breaker trips
    - They will be significantly brighter because you can run heavy gauge wire from the battery to the relays and then to the headlights.

FEP Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
    but in your modified diagram.. since the relays are attached to the starter solenoid, the lights will go off when the key is off too. right?

If so....

Bonus!
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

St80sixer

The lights would stay on since it is connected to the battery positive cable side of the starter solenoid (which isn't switched). You'd still need to remember to turn the headlight switch off.

You could search out a ignition on "hot" wire to trigger the low beam relay, but then you wouldn't be able to control when you wanted the low beams on. You'd have full power low beams and eventually forget to turn on the running lights at night, (one big problem with Daytime Running Light setups) and would be a danger because other motorists (those behind you) would not be able to see you at night until you hit your brakes.

So just for additional clarification, I am drawing my power for my lights directly from the battery, through the hot lead to the starter?
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

... and the relay is activated by the power that used to provide power to the lights?

Yes, the orignal power lead triggers the relay's coil which transfers the power from the battery to the lights. Full voltage.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Gotcha, thanks. Now, as to the numbered leads in themodified schematiic, where will those numbers be located?

those numbers are standard relay pin codes, they will be either ON the bottom of the relay next to the pins, written on the top of the relay on its diagram, or on the box the relay comes in.
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

Yes, whatever you do do not throw away the package the relay came in.

As stated above those #s are standard for automotive style relays.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Now I get it. Thanks for the help. This site is awesome.

Ask yourself.....Is it any of my business?

I just got a kit from daniel stern. It has three relays. I'm wiring it up as one relay for driver side brights one relay for pass. side brights and one for the low beams. That way each relay runs 2 bulb elements in case I decide to go nuts with some over watt bulbs but I doubt if I do.

Ok, so where can I get a conversion kit?

Ask yourself.....Is it any of my business?

I'm not sure what you are converting. If you look at your three wire low beams you will see that one of them just runs over to the high beam only which makes it a three wire as well but is only a two prong socket. Power comes into one bright then goes to the other. For mine it is actually an H4 for the high/low and an h1 for the highs. I'm not an electrician so I don't know all the right terms. lol For the back of the bulb it was explained to me this way---- looking at the prongs with the glass facing away from you the top horizontal is low beam, the right vertical is high beam and the left vertical is ground. Let me know if this helps. My quick connect sockets for the bulbs to plug into are hella if you need them.