Close

Default 3.8 trans to a 302

Found a couple 3.8 v6 manual cars in a junk yard. I heard those trans bolt up to older 302s. Is that true?

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

See below.

Yes. Basically a truck C4 with another 1/4 length o the case.

If you are raiding parts, some periferal parts dont fit.

The 3.8 is a 28 oz unbalance flexplate with 164 teeth. The drive shaft is shorter on 3.8 V6s. The whole engine is forward one inch. The V6 kickdown linkage is shorter and in the wrong position, but can be made to work.

The C5 is a better C4, but with a poorer lockup clutch converter. Aftermarket replacements are non lock-up clutch, it's not serviced any longer.

The v6 3.8 T5 will bolt up and work with older 302, but there are a few issues. The tailshaft housing and main shaft are set up for an electronic speedometer. You can swap an older (World Class) T5 tailshaft housing and speedo drive gear and it'll work fine. I've done several. Hardest part is drilling a small shallow hole in the hardened main shaft for the speedo drive gear retainer. I use a diamond bit in a dremel and just carefully grind a hole. It only has to be about 1/8" or 3/16" deep.

The input shaft is slightly longer than the fox T5. There are a few ways to get around the issue. You can use the 3.8 bellhousing, but you'll need a 164 tooth 50oz flywheel (or 28oz depending on your engine). You can get one for an older f150. You'll need a pressure plate for same f150 and you can use the clutch disc from the newer mustang or just buy a complete clutch kit for the f150. The v6 mustang used an 11" clutch setup, while the fox mustang used a 10" or 10.5", depending on year. The newer v6 mustang flywheel is the wrong balance and won't work. The v6 mustang pressure plate bolt pattern won't work, but there are f150's that used the pressure plate you need. Using the v6 bellhousing may cause some minor exhaust clearance issues, so be prepared to do some tweaking or visit an exhaust shop.

Another option is to find a 94-95 gt bellhousing, which is the correct depth you need and uses a 10.5" clutch setup.
    You also used to be able to buy an adapter/spacer for a regular fox bellhousing. Not sure if it's still being produced, but LMR was selling it.

If you can't find the spacer plate but have a fox bellhousing, then you can buy a fox input shaft (and retainer) and swap it over. They're not too expensive and fairly easy to swap. You'll want to buy a shim kit for it. It needs to be set up correctly if you don't want to destroy all your new stuff. There are videos online that show you how to do it.

Hope this helps to get you started. If you find these v6 t5's cheap, grab them. They're bringing good money on ebay. I'm having trouble finding one around my area.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 11-28-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Hey thanks guys for all the info. Sounds like a lot of work and little stuff. But I still may do it. Last I heard the transmissions we're around $200 from my local scrap yard so I still may snag it. If I decide to go this route I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I'll buy them all day long for $200 and laugh the entire time lol! The swap isn't too bad. I've done a few. They're actually some of the stronger t5's. If you can find a good deal on a scrap fox t5, you're in good shape. Also, I forgot to mention this. I think the 94-98 sn95 v6 t5 still had the mechanical speedo. That simplifies things a bit. You'll just need to figure out the clutch/flywheel/bellhousing/input shaft situation.

Fox bellhousings are quite easy to find and not too spendy. You might have to ask around. I think I paid $60 for my last one. I've heard the input shaft can be trimmed and modified to work but I've never tried it. I bet a machine shop could do it fairly cheap, but I don't think a new one is too pricey. You can easily trim the retainer to fit.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Ok thanks man. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for any fox related parts I can find to make the swap easier