Hey everyone!

So over the past few weeks driving the car maybe 3-4 times a week, I noticed that whenever I'm listening to music with the volume knob past the 11 or 12 o'clock position, the audio becomes distorted and just kind of a loud static jumble of sounds. Everything on the car is practically stock so I've been looking into replacing the deck with something a little stronger and perhaps speakers too. I wanted to get a second input since there are so many questions I couldn't have answered by google.

First off, what does the amp do exactly in these cars? By the sounds of it they are extrememly weak and most modern head units put out more power alone than these dinky amps.

Second, my car has the premium audio upgrade which I'm assuming is OEM based on some google searches, from my understanding this uncluded an amp in the center speaker hole. Was there anything else in this kit that I'm missing?

Third, will I have to tear out the entire interior and run new speaker wire and whatnot. Its not so much that I can't but I do already have a pretty large project with redoing the entire suspension and don't know how long that will take for my skill level, though I do have about 3-4 months of winter so driving the car isn't urgent.

Last off, could I get away with just an Alpine head unit and replacing the 4 speakers (that I can visibly see, I don't know if there are more). I've heard from some people that replacing the had unit alone was more than enough to make the sounds stay crisp so I figured for the extra money it may be worth sort of future proofing the audio system so it won't have to be upgraded for a while.

I checked back about 3 or 4 pages on FEP here in the audio section in an attempt to find something about this but couldn't find anything for my car. I just don't know where to go with this, what parts I will need to buy, how much it will cost, skill level required and whether this will be a weekend project or a month project.

Thanks,

Daniel