Close

Question Age old 86GT PTV clearance question

Hey Guys,

My first post on here and I wanted to give a little bit of a back story.
    I'm a fox body owner over in Europe, The Netherlands and getting parts for the fox over here can be a bit of a nightmare so here's the deal.

I'm looking to do some upgrade to my engine, most of the prep work has been done such as
    - upgraded fuel pump
    - MAF conversion

Now when it comes to aftermarket engine parts (h/c/i) I've managed to find an explorer intake which is very hard to come by over here.
    I'm still looking for a cylinder head and intake combo.

My only question is for my fellow 86GT owners, whats the PTV clearance looking like and what options do I have when it comes to aftermarket cylinder heads and camshafts.

So far I've found out that on the forums the PTV is hit and miss, but seems to favor Trickflows TW 170s with a TFS stage 1 cam.
    However; I've contacted trickflow and Ford Anderson Motorsport, and they told me those wont fit with flat top pistons.

The problem for me isn't checking out PTV clearances when it comes to my build, the problem is. I have to order these parts from the US and pay for an obscene amount of shipping only to find out that my parts won't fit and won't be able to return them.

TLDR;
    Does anyone have personal experience with TW170 heads with flat top pistons on an 86? What did your PTV clearance looked like, also what cylinder head is the one that fits specifically? Post a summit link please.

Thanks in advance,

DutchFox

Your given advice is dependent on whow you are, and if your going to complain if your over reved engine puts the exhaust valve's through a stock 1986 piston.

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...stang-GT-stock

Read about the 190 IIR and a custom cam from Ed or Woody or Buddy Rawls.

PTV advice and saving money on the catalogue Summit Parts 86 HO 5.0....your playing with Chernobyl.

See this.

"http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?181080-372rwhp-349rwtq-Stock-Bottom-End-302-N-A"

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...om-End-302-N-A

You can buy a tool to fly cut the pistons while still in the block if need be...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

South Eastern Pa. Bringing up the rear of The rat race...

Does playing around with the 86 yield results as compared to swapping in a later engine? I have a 92 E7 Long block out of a truck, I think I'd just use that with the correct cam and pistons etc. Set the E6 engine in the corner.

You can make 400 at the crank with HO cam and 1.7:1 rockers with trick flow heads and good intake and exhaust and just as much torque.

You could retard cam to move the power curve up some

not much reason to swap cams really looking at averages on dyno results

I'm pretty sure the 92 truck engine would have the same pistons as the 86. To the best of my knowledge all of the lo-po 302s used the 86 Mustang heads and pistons until production of those engines ended.

steve