Close

Thread: Initial timing

Default Initial timing

Hello all,
    I have a new 302 with AFR 185 heads and a Ford F303 cam. Can some one tell me the best method is to find the the optimum initial and total timing. The engine doesn't like 14 degrees btc but, I'm not sure how to find out the optimum timing.

Thanks
    Tom

The absolute best way is to put it on an engine dyno, other than that it's seat of the pants and advancing until it has a negative effect.

Not sure why it doesn't like 14 degrees initial timing. Could you tell us the ignition setup you're running? How are you checking the timing? Did you confirm TDC mark on the damper?

Start with the factory 10. No knocking advance to 12. This is a seat of the pants way referred to up there ^.
    Checking those other things is a great idea, just in case. Be sure all is mechanically proper.

You are disconnecting the vacuum hose and plugging it right?
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thank you both. The motor has very low miles but, is new to me. MSD ignition mechanical advance with a new damper and confirmed TDC.

Tom

Fwiw, I have a 302 that will barely run at 14. It wants more timing... both initial and total. It's had several different distributors and msd boxes (currently running a Pertronix box, which I really like). I've changed timing sets and cam. I've verified tdc and even had two very experienced mechanics look at it. Not sure what's going on with it but it runs great with a bunch of advance.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Fwiw, I have a 302 that will barely run at 14. It wants more timing... both initial and total. It's had several different distributors and msd boxes (currently running a Pertronix box, which I really like). I've changed timing sets and cam. I've verified tdc and even had two very experienced mechanics look at it. Not sure what's going on with it but it runs great with a bunch of advance.
    That's where I'm headed.

Thanks

For the record, I don't believe my timing is actually that far advanced. I just think I'm getting the wrong reading. It may have something to do with my timing light's compatibility with my ignition box. I feel like the timing is spot on. Basically, I kept advancing it a little at a time until it was a little slow turning over (engine warm). Then, I backed it off a hair. I've never experienced any knock or pinging.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Old school timing was to advance till you heard a knock and then back off 2 degrees...

Remember that different octane fuel will knock at different point.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    Old school timing was to advance till you heard a knock and then back off 2 degrees...

Remember that different octane fuel will knock at different point.
    I'll try that,
    thanks