Close

Default 86 Capri wont start

Ok, its been awhile since Ive posted but I've finally started digging into the Capri again. I have a 306 with GT40P heads, SVT shorty headers, explorer intake and TB, 24# injectors, trick flow stage 1 cam, and mass air conversion. I've been having a problem with the tune, it ran like crap, but the other day I cranked it over and let it run for a bit, I try and do that every now and then, but after about 10 min it died. The engine started surging, not to bad, but got to low and died. I have not been able to get it started again. I put a new fuel pump in it a few weeks ago and I can hear it power up, I smell fuel and the line pressurizes. I have spark as well, at least according to my tester thingy. The plugs were really black, which was odd for only about 2hrs total run time since Ive put them in, it looks like it was running really rich. So I swapped out for new plugs, Motorcraft platinums. I've also replaced the pressure regulator and the coil, since both were original and pretty cheap, so why not. Still wont start, it will crank till the battery dies, smell the garage like fuel, but wont light. I'm out of ideas, can anyone think of anything else to look at?

Thanks in advance

What kind of tester are you using to check for spark? Is it a spark plug tester? The kind that you install between the plug and the plug wire that has a light? I'm just wondering if you tested all of them to make sure you have spark across the board.

Also, have you checked to make sure your distributor hold-down isn't loose? Your timing could be moving on you.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    What kind of tester are you using to check for spark? Is it a spark plug tester? The kind that you install between the plug and the plug wire that has a light? I'm just wondering if you tested all of them to make sure you have spark across the board.

Also, have you checked to make sure your distributor hold-down isn't loose? Your timing could be moving on you.
    Its one of those things you plug into the spark plug wire and clip to a ground, then it acts like a spark plug, you can watch it arc just like a plug. yeah I tested all of them, and the distributor hold down is tight, that was my first thought when timing. I guess I spoke wrong, I have it timed where it is supose to be, but when I give it gas is stumbles and wont rev past 3 grand. My real problem right now is that it wont actually start, the timing thing I can deal with later. I'm wondering if the computer I bought for the mass air conversion finally went out, it is 30+ years old.

I recently went through something similar, ended up being (in part) a bad ECT sensor.
    ECM uses ECT sensor for fueling, engine would go dead rich and eventually flood - it was very frustrating.
    Not saying it's causing your issue, just something to check
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

You may be right about the ecm. It's really easy to tell when they're bad, once you look inside. Wouldn't hurt to pull it and open it up. What typically happens is the capacitors leak and corrode the leads (and sometimes a section of the board). Problems here often start with intermittent issues that progressively worsen over time.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Also, have you checked the tfi?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I recently went through something similar, ended up being (in part) a bad ECT sensor.
    ECM uses ECT sensor for fueling, engine would go dead rich and eventually flood - it was very frustrating.
    Not saying it's causing your issue, just something to check
    I had no idea about the ECT sensor and the fuel, I suppose that could be it, I think its old, i just swapped the old one to the new intake and all that. Also I'll have to look at the ECM. Man that thing took awhile to find one that wasnt an arm and leg, I hope its not that. What is the TFI?

Quote Originally Posted by 86AscMclaren View Post
    What is the TFI?
    Oh I found it, I thought that was a part of the distributor, that would actually make the most sense, given everything. My wife reminded me that years ago the car would stall out and wouldnt restart for a few hours. This was before the new motor, and I just re used the distributor. Hmm, the whole dizzy could be bad, I'll check all those things, thanks guys

The parts stores used to be able to bench test those tfi modules. If you buy a new one, try to have them test it too. I've read a lot of people suggesting buying the motorcraft one if you can find it. I also read that they are now made overseas and likely come from the same place. I think my last one came from Napa and my buddy is still using it after about 8 yrs.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd