Close

texasjam

Default anyone built a t-top chassis to handle 350 - 400 hp

just bought my first t-top car and really want to do the chassis right before dropping the engine in. The car will see 90 street/10 strip and i would like to avoid caging it. This is where I'm getting started

It's going to the body shop mon to make sure the frame is perfectly straight and all stress points will be checked and welded/reinforced.

Ive had subframes in all my stangs but before i order yall know the advantages of doing through-the-floor over just going full length? I though through the floor was just for the cage, which i dont want

Next i was thinging k member and strut tower brace and im still going to go that route but what more can i do to brace front to back before i start worrying about side to side bracing?

any help for the newbie is appreciated i dont want to tear this thing in half first time i drop the hammer

The "through floor" subs are cool even without a cage, but are a pain with everthign else and never look right with the carpet.

For that kind of power, I would look intoo the KB double cross subs with the matrix braces.

As far as the K mamber or strut tower barces go, they will do nothing more then for a regular Mustang. They thighen up the cowl and strut arae, but the T-top will twist behind that anyway.

You should be fine with some good subs.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

Texas Mustang offers a KB Extreme Sub System (Super Subs, Extreme Brace Matrix and jacking rails) for about three hundred. A friend of mine that works at a body shop recomended it to me for my T-Top.

Mike Croke

I did my own through the floor subs using 2"x3" steel tubing for about $25. Pretty easy and makes a huge difference in the stiffness of the car. If done correctly, the only place where it's visible on the inside is the floor behind the front seats. Since the back seats never get used, it doesn't matter and someone would still have to look closely at the carpet to realize that a portion was any higher.

If you don't want anyone to notice the change in the floorboard and you plan on taking out some street imports then go for it. However, if you want to smoke some rice without some hardware pointed at you, then use what I said. the strut braces and the four point K-member braces will help you help you out . Nothing showing has saved me on surviving a lead diet!!!!!!!!!!

Well I was at the street legal drags yesterday and the fastest mustang there(out of all the ones I saw race), was a 1985 T-Top Hatch. It pulled an 11.1 in the 1/4 mile, front wheels lifted off the ground too. My brother talked to him before he ran, he was expecting 10's. It can be done. I however picked me up a little 88 coupe for racing
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

texasjam

thanks for the help. so other than the subs is there any other product I should look at for the front/rear flex. I keep on thinking about throwing a big block in this thing...

I own a t-top car and I feel that everyone has the right idea

1. Sub frame connectors ( I have the Steeda tubular 4130 moly alloy w/ crossbrace kit) These worked great for me
    2. Strut tower brace
    3. G-trac brace ( used to strengthen up the k-member)

just my .02 cents