Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Congrats! It's great to see the car mobile isn't it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Congrats! It's great to see the car mobile isn't it?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Yes it is
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Fairmont FTW!!!

Mike

Mines a Zephyr but Fairmonts are cool too
    Thanks for the kind words
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Car developed a power steering fluid leak. Weird part is if i drove the car fluid level would stay up. Let it sit, fluid level went down. Was finally able to trace it to the steering rack itself. Input shaft seal, looks like.
    I ordered a seal kit, but decided to buy a new rack anyways. I have never gone into a rack and pinion, i'll try and rebuild (or have rebuilt) the original rack for a spare. So the car is down until the new rack comes on Friday. Kind of a bummer but will be glad to not leak PS fluid anymore.
    Also seeing some signs of a rear main seal leak. I replaced the rear main seal when i built the motor, has very low miles on it. I'll tackle that in the spring.

FEP Senior Member

Original steering rack or from a later model Mustang?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

The rack that is leaking is the original one that came with the car. Stock Fox. New one coming Friday is stock Fox as well.
    I know there are more modern racks with upgrades but i would rather use a Fox rack.

Just some updates-
    New rack went in fine, getting it centered was a pain in the ass. But it does not seem to be leaking anymore, the steering is much smoother now so that's good.
    Ended up running into coolant temp issues, elec water pump relay was not working correctly. Replaced relay with new and now that is working so that is good.
    After that, the elec fan stopped working, controller finally died. I used that fan controller because i already had it, it was already wired, and it worked. Until it didn't. I had planned on eventually using the holley to run the elec fan eventually, but this forced my hand.
    wired up the holley to run the elec fan and it seems to be running great now.
    Really happy with the way the car is running/driving. It still needs some fine tuning which i am working on learning the holley system but i gotta say i am happy with the holley term x max thus far. The car is super fun to drive.

Took the zephyr out of storage today. Started right up and drove home 60+ miles with zero issues. Super happy was a great ride home.
    Can now start tuning it again, going to make some changes i think will be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Took the zephyr out of storage today. Started right up and drove home 60+ miles with zero issues. Super happy was a great ride home.
    Can now start tuning it again, going to make some changes i think will be a little better.
    Awesome! Bet it's a good feeling to have it road-worthy.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Been a while since i updated this thread. This summer i drove the Zephyr as much as weather would allow, which was not much at all. We had so much rain this year i think it rained over 50% of the season. I fought a transmission leak for a while, ended up needing a new slip yoke. Heater core started leaking, had to replace that. My hood came up on me, bent the cowl really bad, less damage to hood. Did not break windshield. Took me a couple of weeks to fix that- remove cowl grille and wiper assembly and using a low profile jack and port a power and blocks of wood to slowly jack everything back into place. Welded up a special end for my slide hammer to straighten the firewall, and bent the hood mostly back in shape as well. Was a huge PITA and took longer than i thought but it doesn't look that bad.
    I was able to locate rocker trim for both sides, a wheel arch trim, and just need the top of the door trim for pass side and then should be complete as far as trim goes.
    I got a remote tune for the Holley, car runs really great now, just a couple small issues.
    Car is put away for the winter, i always put it away early since there's no way of knowing when the snow/salt will start.

Good job on the repairs.... both the mechanical issues, and the body work necessitated by the hood malfunction. Glad it's running great too.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Good job on the repairs.... both the mechanical issues, and the body work necessitated by the hood malfunction. Glad it's running great too.
    Thank you! Appreciate the kind words

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    My hood came up on me, bent the cowl really bad, less damage to hood. Did not break windshield.
    Did the latch fail, or did you forget to latch it?

I'm not trying to poke you in the eye if it was due to an oversight on your part, I'm just curious / concerned. I bought my '82 Zephyr to turn it into a track car, and at this point wasn't planning on doing anything to the hood. But now I'm thinking maybe I should put hood pins on it just to be safe.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Did the latch fail, or did you forget to latch it?

I'm not trying to poke you in the eye if it was due to an oversight on your part, I'm just curious / concerned. I bought my '82 Zephyr to turn it into a track car, and at this point wasn't planning on doing anything to the hood. But now I'm thinking maybe I should put hood pins on it just to be safe.
    It was totally my own fault. I had unlatched it because i was going to check trans fluid, then got distracted and jumped in and drove away. Kind of a kick in the balls, no one to blame but myself. But now i always pull up on any hood after closing it lmao. Been working on cars and trucks for like 30 years, that was the first time i ever had that happen.

Great you've been driving it though. I'm happy to hear your tune worked out. I'm at that stage with mine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Great you've been driving it though. I'm happy to hear your tune worked out. I'm at that stage with mine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Thanks- Yeah it is really a fun car to drive! Very happy with the Holley Term X Max so far. I need to go through the exhaust again, and need sub frame connectors in the Spring. The tune was night and day, was a little $$$ but well worth it in my opinion.

Good deal. Even though will never, nor know how to, do mods like that, do enjoy reading what everyone posts on FEP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12