Close

FEP User

Default '85 LTD 3.8 wagon - Y

any Y w/o the cats?
    Just gota wagon. Seems the OP cut out the cats to sell. Seems expensive.
    If one cat not too bad & I like the reduction in pollution.
    Any part numbers for me to look up (guage cost, source). When I post in the search each
    company lists out the crown vic. I guess the stang is '82/6?

Thanks so much,
    Da New Guy
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

FEP User

no visitors?

How bout a part number for a Y?
    Does it havea cat attached? a bung for O2?

I have not gone to my fav supplier yet but a stop in passing Advance and AutoZone had no "Y" pipe LTD.
    What stang will fit? I know they hada 3.8 as well ('83/6 and again '94/04)...
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

If they cut up the Y, you're probably going to have to make your own, or find a used one to drop in. 94-98 Mustang stuff *might* fit, with some adjustments.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP User

Default 3.8L "Y" pipe, cats, O2 sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    ...you're probably going to have to make your own, or find a used one to drop in. 94-98 Mustang stuff *might* fit, with some adjustments.
    Thnx 4 post-back !
    Unfortunately that's becoming the plan. Got the rig 9 mo ago'n no luck yet. The same years 'stang will fit (the LX or base model hasa 3.8 too) but even w/the fancy name/model - no part at all the big box stores.

I can't see using the stubs but may end up going that way. Have that (w/their slide on flanges) and can weld up some extensions but want OE as I'd like to (was it 2?) cats and (probably) one O2 sensor for the brain/CFI feedback. Can you fill me in on the correctness of cats/O2? Two of each?
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

These days you can get by with just one. No need for all of the "pre-cat" stuff. Technology has improved at least.

You could probably get one in after the "Y" and call it a day and run out to the rest of the system.

My '93 F-150 with the 300 had 2 big cats in it from the factory. I was able to source a new system from the manifold back and it just had one in it that was less than half the size of the old main cat.

I would think you'd be able to find a used one from someone doing a V8 swap or whatever into a Fox or SN-95 Mustang, though.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

These cars had 3 cats. 1 in each 'down' pipe and 1 in the pipe that crosses under the transmission after the 'y'. You won't find any in the junk yard. That's the first thing they cut off. The suggestions above are probably your best bet.