Close

Default Wiper motor linkage bushing

Anyone know where I can get a replacement bushing for the wiper motor where the linkage attaches for a 1979? I'm assuming all 79 to 93 are the same but not sure where to get one, my clip came off and so did the bushing, I was able to find the clip in the cowl but no luck on bushing so I'm on the hunt.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

I have no idea, but wouldn't mind getting one myself. I had to assemble 1 good setup from 2 used units.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7904B/musta...epair-kit-7993

Is this what you need? Or is the wiper motor bushing different?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

It's different, I've seen those, it's where the linkage assembly attaches to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauncb View Post
    It's different, I've seen those, it's where the linkage assembly attaches to the motor.
    I've dealt with it several times but I just can't remember what the bushing looked like. I did come across a pack of assorted wiper-related bushings when I was looking that up. I wonder if any of those would work. I'll see if I can find it again. If I were home, I'd run out to the garage and look at my 79 cobra. I recently painted the engine bay and I took that stuff off. It's all in a zip lock bag.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I just looked again and I believe the bushing kit I saw was actually for shifter linkage (I guess Google just throws random similar parts in the mix to keep you busy). I tried looking up a pic and not coming up with anything. Are you sure you're even missing a bushing? I found a few linkage and motor sets on ebay and Google pic search and they all seem to just show the linkage attached to the arm and held on with a steel clip. Again, if I were home, I could figure it out. I have 3 79's and a couple 82's sitting around lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Yes it's missing, or the hole just magically grew or the stud shrank.

This thread is confusing without pics lol! After looking at several pics online, it appears our wiper motors (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) come with a stud that connects to a short piece of linkage. That connection, I don't believe, uses a bushing. The end of the stud is keyed to match the hole in the short piece of linkage. That short piece connects to the longer linkage via a rounded stud with a hole in the end of the longer piece of linkage. Where those two pieces come together, there appears to be a bushing. It's this what you're needing?
    Name:  Screenshot_20211111-104750_eBay.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  209.2 KB

Here's a pic showing the end of the wiper motor stud. I'm fairly certain there's no bushing here. I'm still out of town and not even on dry land, so I haven't been able to confirm on my cars.
    Attachment 136400
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Short piece attached to wiper motor...
    Attachment 136401
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Yes, that little bushing in the first pic you sent that is wire tied to the arm is what I'm looking for, it attaches to the wiper arm on the wiper motor (short arm on wiper motor) on the round stud if you will call it that.

Well, I can see why you're having trouble finding it. Seems like it may be a unicorn part lol! I am finding some info on the ford truck/bronco sites. One guy says dorman doesn't make it and Ford said it's not a serviceable part (IE: gotta buy whole linkage kit). I only saw a couple pics of what they were referring to, but it did appear to be the same part. One thread, in particular, mentioned 80-86 bronco. I even checked bronco graveyard. They tend to have some oddball parts like this, but no luck. Maybe this bushing was common between different models? Looks like it may be a boneyard part.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

If it were me, i would look into something like this

https://www.mcmaster.com/oil-impregn...eeve-bearings/

you have both measurements (or can take both measurements) and maybe cut it down to fit the wiper arm?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

nylon flange sleeve bushing/bearing?
    good hardware store/home center item got to have something?
    similar to shift linkage and door hinge press in bushings
    when the day comes, will be shopping for the universal part
    and only one or two not a kit with 10 various sizes.
    measure arm hole and arm stud, cross section depths, note any design uniqueness of old part if intact.
    doubt if its anything special and may be the same part used in say a brake pedal arm.
    back then more parts like this were 'off the shelf' simple design than now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    back then more parts like this were 'off the shelf' simple design than now for sure.
    I have to agree with this. There's a good chance Ford used readily available parts, where possible. The trick is finding out what else they were used on. Never an easy task!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd