Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 83-86 LTD Sedan Gas tank questions

OK, well it looks like I'm going to need a new tank for my '85 LTS. There is a switch in the tanks after 5/85 and my car is built 4/85.

The Spectra tanks are F16B for the pre-5/85 and F16C for post 5/85.

Looking at the pages on Summit HERE (B) and HERE (C) I don't see any difference in the specs.

RockAuto shows a "C" available for $90 and gastanks.com has a "B" for $200. Both ar 20gal tanks.

Form what I can gather, both use the same straps, and the same pumps. Even the Summit pics look similar (Not identical pics, so that may mean they are "different" parts.)

Anyone have the low-down on what the difference in the switch over is? Is it primarily due to the later EFI stuff?

Obviously, I'd rather pay $80 vs $200, but only if there is a definite reason for it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Were they carb prior and after 5/85 CFI?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

There was a separate tank for carbed cars (F16A) ("Pump on Engine"). It has the smaller hole for the sender only. Both the B and C have the same larger hole for the EFI intank pump.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

that is confusing as hell. I would maybe roll with the cheaper one from RA.

Maybe call gastanks com. That is what they specialize in. Good luck
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Chuck W....pm sent
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

There were two fuel pumps for the early 5.0L CFI cars - one pump internal (low pressure) and one pump external (high pressure). Then Ford dropped the in-tank pump. Not sure if the external pump went up in pressure then.

There was also an extended range fuel tank (20 gal) as an option on the LTD and Marquis sedans (included with LTD Police Package and LTD Taxi Package). This LTS did not originally come with that option, at least according to the Marti report.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-08-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Well, I guess we'll see.

I have one of the F16C tanks on the way. (Looks like it'll arrive on Wed)

Thanks for the info, FoxChassis. Digging up info on these things is even more difficult than for the TBirds/Cougars---
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

OK, well the new gas tank showed up today.

It survived the trip intact, so that's promising.

After I'd ordered it, I was able to dig up the details on what the difference is between the early and late tanks. Both set-ups have in-tank pumps.

It's the pump/sending unit assemblies and the location of the "pod" in the tank for them that is the difference.

The early assembly aims the fittings towards the front of the car, with the pump/sender off to the left side. The late assembly turns things 90* and puts the pump/sender rearward.

I stuck the current pump/sender assy in both tanks to illustrate what happens.

Original

F16C

So, I'm checking to see if I can get the later assembly. If not, I'll swap the fittings on the hoses for 90* versions and move on with my life.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I'm using the one with the lines toward the front of the car. And the electrical connector behind it.
    it fit into my tank just fine, i didn't have to turn it 90 degrees.
    but using 90 degree fittings might just be easier, no shame in that!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Well, I now know I "needed" the F16B tank, which isn't available. However, using the F16C isn't impossible, either with the different pump assy, or switching up the fittings on the lines.

When the proper assy is used in the "C" tank, the lines point forward.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well at least you have nice, new clean tank!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yeah. And if they have any in stock, I'll grab a new pump assy.

I could always try and finesse these line a bit more towards the front. With my luck, I'd bust one of them off
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

If the hard lines were brand new i might try it

Confirmation that the pump assy for the F16C tank is obsolete. 90* fittings it is.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Confirmation that the pump assy for the F16C tank is obsolete. 90* fittings it is.
    Can you turn your stock unit to fit? Maybe bend the float rod? Rotate the fuel sock? I know there is a baffle there.

The baffle in the tank is in a different location. It's not as easy as just clocking it 90*. Something has to be bent/modified to do that.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Could you loosen the hose to the pump and rotate the pump to fit the baffle? Just spitballing

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Could you loosen the hose to the pump and rotate the pump to fit the baffle? Just spitballing
    The tubing in the tank is also bent/angled. Having to change the hose fittings isn't really a deal-breaker.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The tubing in the tank is also bent/angled. Having to change the hose fittings isn't really a deal-breaker.
    True. It's just easier with those tubes pointing forward

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=915&jsn=915

?

Ah, I see.
    That comes up under the 3.8. I was searching 5.0 which was #2127H (According to Gastanks.com). Still, for $200+, I may stay with the current set-up and replace the hose fittings. I'll have to ponder that. I already need a water pump and heater core...

(I didn't know that the 5.0 wasn't available in the '86. I'm new to this particular model)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Does your car have A/C?

Does your car have A/C?
    It has all the things.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

If you have A/C, i will donate a brand new heater core to your project free of charge. I have 3 new ones here still in the box, never installed.
    As long as my 79 and your car take the same heater core, it's yours.

If you have A/C, i will donate a brand new heater core to your project free of charge. I have 3 new ones here still in the box, never installed.
    As long as my 79 and your car take the same heater core, it's yours.
    Well, according to RockAuto, all of the Foxes with AC use the same one.

I'll take this to PM. Thanks!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast