Close

Default low fuel warning light

Does anyone know where the console gets the signal for low fuel light?

I replaced the float in this car a few years back and as you can see by the photo I took today, the tank is full and the gauge is reflecting that fact. but a few weeks ago the low fuel light came on the console and wont go off.

Name:  low fuel light.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  27.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    this link mentions low fuel warning module replacement. What is it and where is it?

Default sticky fuel led

Since the 80's, mine sticks on every now and then when fuel is much higher than 1/4 tank.
    To turn it off i open the glove box and reach up past the light bulb and wiggle the wires up there.
    When the right one is moved, LED goes out. Sometimes have to repeat procedure several times.
    A wire must lose contact or something. No pattern as to when it happens. Is a 79. Others may be different.
    There is another wire behind the cluster on a circuit and mounting post of the temp gauge that causes this too.
    Light will stay on unless the connector is plugged back on.
    Usually happens when cluster is pulled then reinstalled and forget to do that wire.
    Another story.
    Last edited by gr79; 11-09-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    That gives me an idea now that I know where it is. I did an LED conversion of my directionals a few years back and had to switch the flashers with digital flashers. One is supposed to mount above the glove box and for some reason I was never able to make it mount in the same spot so I left it hang. Sometimes it falls and i cant close the glove box without physically pushing it back up in there. I wonder if it jossled the low fuel relay wiring?

Its work checking before buying a used part might not last a month.

I was getting the same thing on mine. When I had my fuel tank out doing some work I looked at where the float rides on the fuel pump mount in the tank. I took a pencil eraser and cleaned the contact area getting rid of all the build up on it. Worked like a charm.