Close

Thread: Good parts car?

Default Good parts car?

Hello, I've this is my first post here. But I've been lurking for a bit.

Anyway, I've recently come upon the opportunity to buy a beat up 2002 v6 manual mustang for a couple hundred dollars. My immediate thought was using it for parts for my 1983 GT (4 speed manual, 302 HO, stock but kind of a POS as well.) Repairing the 2002 is not really an option and IMO wouldn't be worth it regardless.

Mainly, I'm interested in the disk brakes and the manual transmission. The T-5 in the 2003 is very different from the usual swaps so I'm wondering if it's possible and what would be needed for it? I know swapping the whole rear end is not practical because it's 3 inches longer and the rear end ratio is not different but I'm willing to put up with that for 5 lug axles and disk brakes. I also know that I would need SN95 spindles and struts to make use of the front brakes. I know the usual answer is 'Not worth the effort, get something else' but seeing as I'm a broke-a$$ college student paying in immense amounts of effort instead of actual dollars is not a deal breaker.

The long and short of it is: what parts can I use from a 2002 v6 manual mustang to improve my 1983, V8, SROD, rear drum brake, Mustang GT
    Last edited by Crispy83GT; 11-04-2021 at 09:32 PM.

You typed 2003 v6 and then 2006 v6. I'm going to presume we're talking about a 2006 car, since you mentioned the t5 being different. I don't know anything about the brakes on the 2006 but I'm fairly certain the t5 on these cars is not an option for swapping into ours.

Edit: Forgot to say welcome to the group!
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 11-04-2021 at 07:51 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Oops! it's a 2002 actually, so I got it wrong twice. Because of course I would.

But thank you, I'm excited to be here!

Oh, well in that case, snatch that thing up. You can use the t5 (it'll take a little work but it's worth it). I think the brakes can be used as well, but the spindles will have to be changed. The '02 spindles will bolt up and technically work, but the geometry is wrong. I do have a buddy who uses them and says they work fine, but the general consensus is that the 94-95 spindles are the ones you want.

The rear end will be a 7.5 and although the splines match the 8.8, I'm pretty sure they are too long for the fox housing. The rear discs might work for a swap, though.

I'm pretty rusty on the brake swaps. Several members on here could give you better info.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4