Close

Default Volvo electric power steering pump

Have any of you looked into doing an electric power steering pump? Evidently, the volvo pump was the same over several years and our lines will hook up with no issues (actually, I read somewhere else that an adapter might be needed to go from 6an to 14mm or 16mm). You provide a heavy positive cable straight to the unit, another heavy ground, and a switched 12v source. It even includes its own relay. I imagine you would want to install a breaker or fuse. The only downside is that it pulls around 80 amps. (Unconfirmed and I'm hoping that's just on start-up.)

There are several reasons for doing this but I like the idea of simplifying the pulley setup in a custom engine install. They're probably less problematic than the ford units too (at least, if you're getting tired of pump noise) and easier to swap out if it does go bad.

I thought we discussed this on here before, but I couldn't find it with the search function.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

The Coyote swap guys use the Volvo pump, seems legit.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

After some more reading, they suggest a 40a relay. So maybe it doesn't take as much to run it as I thought. There's a YouTube video where the guy states it pulls 80a.

https://youtu.be/Htrz_Wn4SZ8

Edit: and another video I just found where he runs a 60a fuse with no issues. So I'm going to presume my 130a 3g alternator running a power steering pump and electric fan should be sufficient.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 10-31-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

best video i ever saw, very good work

He did a nice job with the wiring. That pump is pretty loud tho lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    He did a nice job with the wiring. That pump is pretty loud tho lol
    I've had louder ford pumps lol! But yes, his wiring was pure art.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Hahahahaha

Not a bad option really.

What I've done with my cars is eliminate the cooling loop. Add a small trans cooler in front of everything instead. Add a filter on the PS return line between the pump and the cooler.

I should probably filter the hot fluid instead but I haven't had any issues with flow so far.

I run an underdrive crank pulley to slow my accessories down some.

I'm running synthetic PS fluid like is used in imports on my 86GT. No noise.

I'm running type F in my 85. I haven't fired the motor for the first time quite yet but I'm 99% certain this will be a happy setup as well. If it is not, I'll change it out for the synthetic PS fluid I've found that works in my 86.

The biggest problem I was having was blown PS return lines. The underdrive pulley cured it. I put on a 93 Cobra sized water pump pulley to speed it back up a bit. It is 1:1 now. Steering feels great.

Right now it seems that you cannot override the CAN-Bus signal for the pump so it will not run at a 100%, this can lead to an undesirable steering feel if you plan on any "spirited driving events" not in a straight line. There is another option https://www.krcpower.com/ecommerce/ but it is not as budget friendly as the Volvo option.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184

Always something isn’t it ……