Close

Default Guidance Needed Please

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Just purchased a 4 eye and need to know what direction to go. I know the info is probably here in muliple threads, but I just need someones opinion on what I have and where to go with it. I'd like to have a weekend cruiser that's fun to drive and reasonably quick acclerating, maybe equivavlent to a 13.0 1/4 mile. I used to own a V8 Mustang but this thing is totally different and I just want to figure out where I am in this car. Thanks in advance....

1984 Mustang GT W code 2.3L Turbo
    2.3L engine from 87 TC
    T5 from TC
    3.55 8.8 rear with posi
    GT3071-63-T3-RR Turbo (ceramic bb)
    Precision 38mm wg set to 18.8 psi
    BOV (unknown)
    3" dp w/screamer
    255 gph fp
    MSD ignition
    70mm TB
    80lb injectors
    Piper HR300 cam??? (cam says HR300)
    Adjustable cam gear
    Ported big valve head
    Ported lower intake
    Holley Commander efi w/laptop (old as heck)
    Ron Davis fmic
    Ron Davis radiator w/elect fans

This thing is a dog from idle to 4000 rpm. When you hit 4000, it takes off like a rocket from hell!! Breaks the tires loose and is almost undrivable at wot. The boost comes on so fast and strong that you can only accelerate for a couple seconds, you hit 6200 rpm rev limiter, then upshift. When you upshift you end up at 3600 rpm or so and now it's a dog until 4000 rpm, repeat.

What I'd like is boost to come on at 3000 rpm and upshift and stay in the boost. Better yet, I'd like boost to come in at 2500. At this point in my life (4 I'm not interested in drag racing at max rpm. I'm more of a stoplight to stoplight guy or on ramp racer lol. I don't really care to rev this thing past 5500 rpm if you know what I mean. Looking for better drivability, more fun and pleasure, less scary out of control power.

If I need a different cam or turbo, no problem. Which ones?

Thanks
    Slo

I don't think I can post pics yet

FEP Power Member

You may be dealing with some nonstock set ups. Turbos usually peak at about 4400. It's takes about 2500 to get a decent launch as that's about where you can see and feel the boost.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You may be dealing with some nonstock set ups. Turbos usually peak at about 4400. It's takes about 2500 to get a decent launch as that's about where you can see and feel the boost.
    So to accomplish 300hp 13.0 sec 1/4 mile and good drivability, what type of cam and turbo would you suggest vs what I have now?

63 views and only one response? Would have thought I'd get more help. Bummer.

Ooopps
    Last edited by 86-TC/SVO; 10-29-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Quote Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
    63 views and only one response? Would have thought I'd get more help. Bummer.
    Most members like to help but don't have the information you are wanting or don't want give bad information. Personally I have no Idea about turbos, but I may read your post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have zero knowledge of 2.3 turbskis. I actually own 2 turbo cars right now, but the engines were long gone before I ended up with them. I wouldn't mind taking one of them back to the 2.3t! They're getting harder to find around here.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    Most members like to help but don't have the information you are wanting or don't want give bad information. Personally I have no Idea about turbos, but I may read your post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Bad info is bad.

In a general sense, you could look into a boost controller or tune things using wastegate/ blowoff valve.
    the aspect ratio of the turbo is part of the equation.
    Sorry wish i could help more
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

If 300HP and driveability are your goals, then the odds are your current camshaft is probably too much. It sounds like your Turbo is setup for high end HP and not all around power. Honestly looking at the 85.5/86 SVO is a good place to start. Yes, they were only 225HP +/- stock, but you can easily build on that and get to your 300HP goal with excellent driveability and power.

Not sure if this is correct for your cam, but this is what I found online. https://rsmotorsport.com.au/files/pinto_cams.pdf

It appears to definitely be a high RPM camshaft that is designed for racing and not necessarily street driving. I would recommend considering Bo Port Racing and their Stage 1.1 cam https://www.bo-port.com/index.php?ac...od&productId=5 I am not sure how it will work with your current turbo, but that would be a good question for Bo Port. I would recommend talking to them and possibly https://www.stinger-performance.com/ to see what they recommend in regards to turbo/cam combo to work with your current setup. I would also recommend considering Stinger's PiMP engine management as most have good things to say about the setup.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If 300HP and driveability are your goals, then the odds are your current camshaft is probably too much. It sounds like your Turbo is setup for high end HP and not all around power. Honestly looking at the 85.5/86 SVO is a good place to start. Yes, they were only 225HP +/- stock, but you can easily build on that and get to your 300HP goal with excellent driveability and power.

Not sure if this is correct for your cam, but this is what I found online. https://rsmotorsport.com.au/files/pinto_cams.pdf

It appears to definitely be a high RPM camshaft that is designed for racing and not necessarily street driving. I would recommend considering Bo Port Racing and their Stage 1.1 cam https://www.bo-port.com/index.php?ac...od&productId=5 I am not sure how it will work with your current turbo, but that would be a good question for Bo Port. I would recommend talking to them and possibly https://www.stinger-performance.com/ to see what they recommend in regards to turbo/cam combo to work with your current setup. I would also recommend considering Stinger's PiMP engine management as most have good things to say about the setup.
    Thank you for this. I appreciate the cam document, it does list the HR300 and confirms it's a high rpm "only" cam. I have a message in to Stinger already, waiting for their response. I was already considering a PimpX tuning system and a few other parts from them so hopefully they can come through for me. I also have a message in to Big R Motorsports on a couple of their Ranger roller cams and one of their turbos. BoPort is on my list as well, they have a cam kit that I think would best suit my needs, but haven't reached out to them. These three seem to be the guru's for 2.3's. Guess I need to go right to the source for the info I need.

Thanks for all the repiles.