Close

Question Lost Striker Nut in Quarter Panel

As the title states, I have managed to lose a striker nut inside of my passenger quarter panel and have absolutely zero idea how to get it out.

I decided that the door strikers were worn out enough and it was a good idea to pick up some strikers from LMR for the $20. I decided to start on the passenger side as that is the side I originally had the problems with, and after removing the original striker, I lost the nut on the other side down into the quarter.

I had tried the bent coat hanger to fish it out but I couldn't manage to get a hold on it, and so far, it's good as gone. I can't install the new striker or even the old one without that nut and now I can't close my door. I really need some help if there's anything that I can do to somehow retrieve it.

I would be willing to buy a new one but then the old one will be rattling around in the bottom of the quarter panel every time I drive the car so that isn't preferred.

I hope someone has had this experience and has some advice on how to get the nut back without destroying the car, I was looking forward to a drive tonight but I guess not lol

I can post a picture of what I'm referring to afterwards if that would be helpful.

FEP Power Member

It's actually a plate that sits behind some tabs. For a hatchback, try removing the rear bottom seat and then the lower interior quarter panel. That may get you to it.
    I dropped mine on the asc vert. It's harder to get to.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    It's actually a plate that sits behind some tabs. For a hatchback, try removing the rear bottom seat and then the lower interior quarter panel. That may get you to it.
    I dropped mine on the asc vert. It's harder to get to.
    Alright thank you so much. I will be sure to try that and let you know how it goes tomorrow!

A good worklight and a slim version telescoping magnetic pickup tool or flexible claw tool would be my choices for that task.
    Home Depot should stock them. Very handy tools to have in any toolbox.
    I think i taped that plate to the pillar to keep it from dropping out again.
    Removing the seat cushion and maybe sill plate should allow the panel to be pulled back enough for access behind it.
    Maybe a block of wood to prop panel and hold open the space for a little more access .
    Last edited by gr79; 10-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.

need a doughnut magnet on a string to drop down there may have to remove all rear plastic to get access if its a hatch back seems that what I did to get rear sail panel nuts out once upon a time.
    Last edited by plumkrazy; 10-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Yeah I've had this happen a while back to me and its not fun.

If I remember correctly I ended up having to remove the rear seat and the interior quarter panel to get at it. I thought about trying to pry the plastic back and use some sort of fishtool but I think you will run into plastic vapor barrier and/or insulation padding that makes it almost impossible to get at reasonably.

Its a fairly heavy plate and awkward shaped that fits into a bit of a saddle and clip on the inside metal so to get it put back in proper place is also near impossible without having good access. Its a pain to remove the interior but in the end may actually be easier IMO.

At least that is the way it was on my 80. Other years may be different I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Yeah I've had this happen a while back to me and its not fun.

If I remember correctly I ended up having to remove the rear seat and the interior quarter panel to get at it. I thought about trying to pry the plastic back and use some sort of fishtool but I think you will run into plastic vapor barrier and/or insulation padding that makes it almost impossible to get at reasonably.

Its a fairly heavy plate and awkward shaped that fits into a bit of a saddle and clip on the inside metal so to get it put back in proper place is also near impossible without having good access. Its a pain to remove the interior but in the end may actually be easier IMO.
    I managed to undo the 3 screws in the trim and pull it back just enough to get my hand in and fish the cage nut out with my middle finger lol, got a solid cut but at least I can close my doors now!

Thanks for the help

Perfect !!

Glad you were able to reach it. Over the years my car has bit me many many times in more ways than one haha.

Glad to hear you got it
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

This thread reminded me i do not know where the claw tool is.
    Usually keep it in car toolbox. Last use was snagging and rerouting a lawn tractor battery cable. Worked great.
    But where did the claw tool go?
    Normally would promptly stow it back where it usually can be found fast.
    Oh well bought another at HD 9.00. 24", has LED light, lifetime warranty Now to find the first one.

Reason i mentioned claw tool to retrieve dropped parts in this situation is because magnets stick to the first piece of metal.
    Which would prob be the rocker or rust, not be the dropped part.
    Ring magnets are handy. Using eight of them to hold down a nylon cover over the cowl grill to keep out fall leaves.
    Many other purposes, many different types. Magnets are magic.
    But cant control magnet action on a string fishing for something say down deep in the inner rocker. Least i cant.

My magnet tool has a button on the end and the magnet is retractable. Kind of like the claw tool.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FAst_4_eye got it. I finally removed two trim panel screws from the rear kick area and trivially retrieved the nut cage by hand. That was after hours of bent hanger, magnets taped to the hangar. Both of those could bring up the item but failed to get it back through the opening. So, just look behind the rear panel, voila! There was not moisture of sound barrier material in the 83gt.