Close

Default Converting a 1986 Mustang GT to full discs

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new on these forums and really look forward to all the wisdom and information that I can get on here. I recently had picked up a really clean '86 GT with about 27,xxx kms at the time. I've put on about 2,000 kms since then and am sort of getting an idea of the upgrades I would like to possibly do to the car.

I have heard many guys on forums and YouTube talk about 5 lug swaps onto discs, and perhaps I have an odd request, but I was wondering if it was in any possible to do a full disc conversion but keeping 4 lug so that I can keep the wheels and tires that I have right now. I know the '93 SVT Cobra had all around discs but I don't really know how to go about putting something like that on my car. Would I be able to buy a kit from a brake manufacturer? Do I have to buy a salvaged brake set or get one from a junkyard? And also would I be able to do this in my own garage or would it have to go into a garage and have it professionally done?

I feel like my car could definitely benefit from having a bit more braking power and but really have no idea where to start or how much this entire project could even cost lol.

I am more than willing to learn myself through these forums and YouTube tutorials but I don't even know where to start as far as getting the rear rotors, calipers, and anything else needed for the swap.

Lastly, Would I need any supporting mods as I've heard steel brake lines and a different brake booster (94-98 GT, Cobra Replica) are some solid upgrades for the price.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give

On my 85 Mustang Gt. I originally installed 87-93 Mustang front front brake set up which is 11" front rotors. On the rear I used the ssbc rear brake kit which is the thunderbird turbocoupe rear disc set up. Suspension really helps with the brakes. I installed the maxim motorsports torque arm and it really helped with stopping on that set up. If you phone or email maximum motorsports they can recommend the best master cylinder for your set up.

Not to be rude but did you read the sticky at the top of this section of the forum "The Ultimate Four Eyed 4 Lug Brake Upgrade Thread". In the second post it really talks about everything you need and the different vendors.

I went all discs on my car, but i also did a 5 lug swap at the same time.
    I went with North Race Cars rear caliper brackets, they fit very well and installed easily.
    You might want to wait for Jack Hidley so weigh in, he has a ton of expertise with suspension and brakes for our cars.
    Welcome
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-Thread/page5

Since you are younger, fyi, many older threads have MANY links that are no longer active, nor correct.
    And, MANY parts/etc are no longer available.
    And, new and updated information often makes suggestions/etc in the initial posts, not desirable, nor a good idea.

Also, you 100% must read the last 1-2 pages of the thread.
    That is often where the latest information is - such as updated parts, information, links, etc.

Yes, it is often a massive PITA to read those long threads, where the first few posts don't stay 100% updated. But, that's life.
    And, without the interweb, you wouldn't have had of that information at all.
    If the topic is important to you, then you can always read a few pages a day. This becomes more relevant in big efforts - like engine rebuilds, or upgrading 4 brakes.

NOTE: The front brakes, back brakes, master cylinder, and prop valve all need to be matched.
    Otherwise, people can (and have) ended up with "upgraded" brakes, that take longer to stop the car, and can be potentially much more dangerous (e.g. if the front tires lock up first).

I'll also note, that some brake/wheel upgrades "require" pushing out the fender and/or "rolling the fender lips". Imho, please never ever ever do those to your super nice car.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-Thread/page5

Since you are younger, fyi, many older threads have MANY links that are no longer active, nor correct.
    And, MANY parts/etc are no longer available.
    And, new and updated information often makes suggestions/etc in the initial posts, not desirable, nor a good idea.

Also, you 100% must read the last 1-2 pages of the thread.
    That is often where the latest information is - such as updated parts, information, links, etc.

Yes, it is often a massive PITA to read those long threads, where the first few posts don't stay 100% updated. But, that's life.
    And, without the interweb, you wouldn't have had of that information at all.
    If the topic is important to you, then you can always read a few pages a day. This becomes more relevant in big efforts - like engine rebuilds, or upgrading 4 brakes.

NOTE: The front brakes, back brakes, master cylinder, and prop valve all need to be matched.
    Otherwise, people can (and have) ended up with "upgraded" brakes, that take longer to stop the car, and can be potentially much more dangerous (e.g. if the front tires lock up first).

I'll also note, that some brake/wheel upgrades "require" pushing out the fender and/or "rolling the fender lips". Imho, please never ever ever do those to your super nice car.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the info on this. I'm really sorry about starting a new thread as I had no idea there was pre-existing ones so I'll keep an eye peeled in the future

I definitely don't want to get into modifying the panels as they are all original and so is the paint. However, I sort of want to improve the performance a bit as it will be my daily driver (during the warmer months) for the next 2 years of high school and possibly after that. I want to keep the original feel and look (4 lugs) while upgrading the performance and usability (discs instead of drums). I sort of started this thread separate hoping someone could point me in the direction of a full kit instead of having to piece a whole bunch of parts together separately. Obviously if that is the only option then that is alright but I would prefer a set of new parts (rotors, calipers, etc.) as I don't want to cheap out on my car.

Certainly not an expert I dropped the thought do to it based on the cost but here are the two kits I was looking at:
    https://www.northracecars.com/c-clip_brakes.html
    https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a112?r..._mustang~ha_gt

But as stangPlus2Birds mentioned you still have the master cylinder and proportioning valve to deal with. You could gut the stock valve and put a plug in the front and add an adjustable one farther down.

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    Certainly not an expert I dropped the thought do to it based on the cost but here are the two kits I was looking at:
    https://www.northracecars.com/c-clip_brakes.html
    https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a112?r..._mustang~ha_gt

But as stangPlus2Birds mentioned you still have the master cylinder and proportioning valve to deal with. You could gut the stock valve and put a plug in the front and add an adjustable one farther down.
    Thanks for linking these kits, I will probably end up going with one of them, as far as the master cylinder goes could I not use a '93 cobra styled or one of those 94-98 GT masters? I know that LMR has some different master cylinders and brake boosters however I really don't know too much about what parts work and fit together so I'll be looking into that in the coming weeks while I should be paying attention in class lol.

Thanks so much for the help thought everyone, it really means a lot!