Close

Default Metal Intrior Trim removal above doors and windshield

I’m looking to remove the metal interior trim pieces above each door and above the windshield on my 1986 Capri. Are the clips supposed to come out with the trim pieces? Anyone have any tips on removing the metal trim pieces without damaging them? I appreciate any suggestions.

You kinda grab them with your hands and pull them off. Use two hands and grab them (work your fingers between headliner and trrim) and yank it down starting from one end to another. The clips stay with the trim.

To expand on what 87gtVIC stated above, I have found that if you sit in the seat and place your legs out the door. Grab the trim as mentioned above working your fingers behind the edge at the headliner as much as possible and then I pull with both hands at the same time and roll my wrists in a downward motion. That seems to pop the trim off the quickest and easiest for me. As stated the metal clips stay with the trim, but they do slide side to side and can fall out if you aren't careful. When you go to reinstall, there are small triangles or arrows stamped into the backside of the trim on the edge to help you locate the clips. Center the clip on that triangle/arrow and reinstall. I usually push them in my hand and then give them a good smack over each clip with a side of my hand with a clinch fist. Not trying to damage them, but sometimes you do not to get a bit physical for them to seat properly. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great info here
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I'm looking to refresh the interior on my car this winter and wasn't sure how those trim pieces come off. Like massacre said, great info. Much appreciated.