Close

Default MSD ready to run distributer questions

My 85 car that I'm stripping decent parts off of for my 84 has a msd pro billet distributer on it. Was always wanting to take it out and put it in my 84 to go with my streetfire ingnition and blaster 2 coil. Didn't realize but it is a ready to run dizzy with the ignition built right in. That explains why I couldn't find the ignition box lol.

Can I bypass the built in ignition and use my streetfire ignition? Would it be a upgrade from my oem rock auto distributor? Its damn near worth the cost of what I paid for the car so it be cool if I could use it.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Yes I believe you can hook the ready to run to the ignition box. At least from what I remember.

I think you just need to hook the orange coil wire of the ready to run to the white wire input of the ignition box for the trigger (as opposed to the magnetic pickup from the OEM).

If you look up the wiring diagrams for the MSD ready to run it should show you how to do it.

Also would need to check that the distributor gear on the ready to run is compatible with your cam if its a roller (steel vs iron etc).

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Yes I believe you can hook the ready to run to the ignition box. At least from what I remember.

I think you just need to hook the orange coil wire of the ready to run to the white wire input of the ignition box for the trigger (as opposed to the magnetic pickup from the OEM).

If you look up the wiring diagrams for the MSD ready to run it should show you how to do it.

Also would need to check that the distributor gear on the ready to run is compatible with your cam if its a roller (steel vs iron etc).
    Thanks, ya I figured I could use it but wasn't exactly sure lol. Main thing I was wondering if it is worth putting it in or not? Is it going to make a difference in how it runs/ idles etc? I know thats subjective lol. Its on a 85 right now so I assume it will have the steel gear as that was first year of roller cam.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt