Close

Default turbo waste gate vacuum lines

I have a 79 Cobra with 2.3L turbo i bought as a basket case everything taken apart On the waste gate vacuum solenoid there are 2 vacuum ports one large and one small, can anyone tell me where or what they connect too. Is it manifold vacuum or port vacuum or 1 of each. I have searched diagrams with no luck. All vacuum lines are missing so I would like to simplify things to get it running good and then go for the rest of the lines when I know what I have. Thanks
    Last edited by gjt61; 10-16-2021 at 11:25 AM.

gjt61, pacecartodd''s posts #29, 37 & 38.

Quote Originally Posted by pacecartodd View Post

Attachment 88258

Attachment 88259

Hey all.. I've posted bout 3 different threads lately bout my pace car issues. Well now I can say she runs great!! I plan on describing in detail which parts I used and their exact install locations. I've eliminated ALL smog and EGR system. Fellow member GR 79 was very helpful as well to me. I've found vacuum line and vacuum line check valves VERY important!! I'll post that info tomorrwish here.also found how important having the correct version of holly model 5200 carburetor is on these 2.3 turbo cars is.

For all systems, see
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-lines/page1

Good fortune. Removal of systems creates more problems than it solves. There are 53 systems present on the 1979 Carb turbo 2.3. The California spec and 1980 and C3 automatics have a revised five null knob control system.

Each "Nutters By Pass" is going to require an identification on what carb and destination state your car was. Literally, every 1979 Carb Turbo is unique to its designation state, carbs and vacuum lines vary so much.

Gregpro50 and gr79 have picture posts to identify everything. From those, you will then figure out how to perform pacecartodd's modifications. Be very carefull how your lines are secured, and be aware that the standard emissions Holley Weber carb is a very bad piece of contorted logic. The whole bowl vent and well tube and carb jetting and venturi sizing and part numbering is 100% unique to the 1979 Turbo.

Post #37

Hey guys here is what solved ALL my issues as far as vacuum line locations and which correct '' check valves '' I used. Check valves are a MUST!! My car is totaly rebuilt and does NOT have any smog or EGR garbage on it.
    1. Timing is set at 8*
    2. Total carburetor rebuild with brass float
    3. Carburetor main fuel/air mixture screw BACKED out 1 1/2 turns
    4. Main idle set at 1100 to 1200 rpms
    5. Turbo wastegate vacum port connected to REAR intake manifold port.
    6. Use NPD part #M-12A197-3 (page 111 2015 catalog)with WHITE side of check valve towards intake manifold port inline of turbo wastegate vacum line.
    7. Connect distributor vacum line to intake manifold VACUUM TREE . Use a fuel/vacuum seperator style 'check valve' inline on your 3/16" vacum line of distributor. Use NPD part #M-9C369-3B. (Page 105 in their 2015 catalog)
    8.plug off vacum port on BASE of carburetor.
    9.spark control module vacum line goes to FRONT intake manifold port. NOT THE VACUM TREE!!
    10. Most important step here.IF not done your carburetor gets excessive fuel Cus of power valve in carb always open dumping excessive fuel in idle mode.
    10A. Connect a piece of 3/16" line to main VACUM TREE approx 12", then a 3/16" T, then short piece of 3/16" tubing to FRONT air horn on top of carburetor, next another short piece of 3/16, then use NPD part #M-12A091-2 (page 145 2015 catalog)and make sure the BLACK side faces the carburetor ,finally connect to the SIDE AIR HORN on the top of carburetor .
    11.I must thank GR79 for some of this info but after I got it all together things made sense. I hope this helps others get these motors running better. IF anyone has input please post it.

Post #37

Hey guys here is what solved ALL my issues as far as vacuum line locations and which correct '' check valves '' I used. Check valves are a MUST!! My car is totaly rebuilt and does NOT have any smog or EGR garbage on it.
    1. Timing is set at 8*
    2. Total carburetor rebuild with brass float
    3. Carburetor main fuel/air mixture screw BACKED out 1 1/2 turns
    4. Main idle set at 1100 to 1200 rpms
    5. Turbo wastegate vacum port connected to REAR intake manifold port.
    6. Use NPD part #M-12A197-3 (page 111 2015 catalog)with WHITE side of check valve towards intake manifold port inline of turbo wastegate vacum line.
    7. Connect distributor vacum line to intake manifold VACUUM TREE . Use a fuel/vacuum seperator style 'check valve' inline on your 3/16" vacum line of distributor. Use NPD part #M-9C369-3B. (Page 105 in their 2015 catalog)
    8.plug off vacum port on BASE of carburetor.
    9.spark control module vacum line goes to FRONT intake manifold port. NOT THE VACUM TREE!!
    10. Most important step here.IF not done your carburetor gets excessive fuel Cus of power valve in carb always open dumping excessive fuel in idle mode.
    10A. Connect a piece of 3/16" line to main VACUM TREE approx 12", then a 3/16" T, then short piece of 3/16" tubing to FRONT air horn on top of carburetor, next another short piece of 3/16, then use NPD part #M-12A091-2 (page 145 2015 catalog)and make sure the BLACK side faces the carburetor ,finally connect to the SIDE AIR HORN on the top of carburetor .
    11.I must thank GR79 for some of this info but after I got it all together things made sense. I hope this helps others get these motors running better. IF anyone has input please post it.
    Hello, I did this on my 79 pace
    Car. Pretty easy. You will need approx 2 check valves on the vacuum lines around the carburetor and also 1 on your distributor vacuum line. I coup put together a list of check valves and their locations.i bought mine from national parts depot and very inexpensive. Check out my pics on my profile. Todd

De smog process. Another reference to check.

Hello, I did this on my 79 pace
    Car. Pretty easy. You will need approx 2 check valves on the vacuum lines around the carburetor and also 1 on your distributor vacuum line. I coup put together a list of check valves and their locations.i bought mine from national parts depot and very inexpensive. Check out my pics on my profile. Todd