Close

eighty6gt

Default Roll cage questions

Once I get another RWD V8 car on the road and a nice shop to work in I'll be taking my '86 apart to turn it into a tire burning cruiser/drag car. With a 400 RWHP 351 it should run low 11's or better at the strip... the chassis needs work so I'll be stripping it bare, fixing any rust, cleaning up the engine bay, reinforcing the framerails, welding the seams etc... and of course installing a 8? point cage.

The car will see a fair amount of cruising duty. I have rode in mustangs with cages in them, having to climb over the bar is no big deal so I'll probably have fixed side bars.

Since I'll have the whole thing apart anyway should I install a dash bar (bar running widthwise under/behind the dashboard)? What should I do with the top hoops that run along the roof and down through the dash? Has anyone got any pictures of what these look like, I imagine you have to hack up the dash/dashpad pretty good to get them to go in.

I may just go with a 6 point so simplify the whole affair. Opinions welcome.

gtluke

well jimmy the roll "cage" you speak of is refered to as a 10 point. it has the overhead bars, and yes you have to hammer through the dashboard to fit it properly. the 6pt roll "bar" is what i have in my car. its actually an 8pt but i never put in the additional 2 bars because then i can't fit my toolbox behind my seat
    i wouldn't attempt the 10pt bar myself, as i would have to do mild steel, and that stuff is heavy. probably next year i'm going to cut out my 6pt bar and have a chromoly 10 pt installed so i'm legal for 9's

Read some rule books and find out what the sanctioning body (NHRA, NASA, SCCA, etc.) roll bar/cage minimum requirements are for the type and class of racing you will be doing. Some requirements are very similar, but there are often some very small but very important differences. Use those requirements as your starting point for determining what type of rollbar/cage you desire.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

Dan

I'm on way to installing singlr hoop 8 point bar, two forward two back and two inwards from hoop to tunnel edge.plus two main down bars. Lititure says it supposed to be direct bolt/weld in kit with nothing more than little carpet trimming. Not sure what companies name is but made for fox chassis stangs. Lateron, Dan