Close

Default 1985 5.0 CFI EGR question

The 5.0 in my '85 Marquis LTS has a "sandwich cooler" mounted with the EGR on the back of the CFI intake.

A previous owner cut the hose coming out of it, and I can't figure out where it goes back into the system.
    (It's the hose sticking up in this pic).

I've got no other leaks (so far), so nothing is jumping out on where it should connect.

I may just plug the feed port in the intake, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to just get it properly connected, if I could figure out where.

None of the info I have shows any details on that part of the system.

Thanks!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Wow, how strange! My gt is in remote storage so I can't take a quick look. If nobody else gets to thisi can look tomorrow. Why on earth would you disconnect that? And by you I mean the previous owners.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

What's odd is that I can find no obviously open connection for the other end. I filled the system with water (to check for leaks, etc) before the regular coolant mix, and none has leaked out anywhere else.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Power Member

I believe it goes inline with heater core. That is if it's the same size hose. I'm away so I can't look.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-07-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

My 85 LX with 5.0 HO CFI used to ping regularly even with premium, and stall coming off the e-way ramp, slowing for traffic signal.
    Never figured it out. Suspected EGR, but of course car did not ping or stall when dealer looked at it.
    Car was only 2 years old, 55k, everything was connected per factory.
    Wish i could find the cassette i made in car recording leaving for work one day. Buzzers, ts tick, trans/engine shift and accel, road noise.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I believe it goes inline with heater core. That is if it's the same size hose.
    This is maybe a 3/8" ID hose.

There is a connector (vac and electrical connections on it) of sorts in the larger heater hose, but no additional "ports" for a hose connection.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

My 85 Capri RS is a CFI car. I will have a look for you when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    The 5.0 in my '85 Marquis LTS has a "sandwich cooler" mounted with the EGR on the back of the CFI intake.

A previous owner cut the hose coming out of it, and I can't figure out where it goes back into the system.
    (It's the hose sticking up in this pic).

I've got no other leaks (so far), so nothing is jumping out on where it should connect.

I may just plug the feed port in the intake, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to just get it properly connected, if I could figure out where.

None of the info I have shows any details on that part of the system.

Thanks!
    Chuck, My 84 LX has the same set up with EGR hoses intact. I can take a pic of it this weekend if you don't get any response before then.

With time and weather changing, its getting dark out by the time I get home from work, so Ill take a look on Saturday. Besides, I need to adjust my idle again and check my choke for function.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    This is maybe a 3/8" ID hose.

There is a connector (vac and electrical connections on it) of sorts in the larger heater hose, but no additional "ports" for a hose connection.
    That sounds familiar. I believe there is a plastic tee on one heater hose.pretty sure it's a common Help part. The other side may come off the heater hose pipe which goes along the top of the intake.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I believe it goes inline with heater core. That is if it's the same size hose. I'm away so I can't look.
    This. On my Capri the hose tees into the left side heater hose.
    For some strange reason, having an issue uploading the pics that I took. I have sent you pm Chuck.

Well, that might explain why that heater hose was also chopped up.

The left (5/8") heater hose was cut and missing about a foot or so from the firewall.

The larger (3/4") right heater hose has this in it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

OK. machinedoc sent a couple of pics, and yes, there is supposed to be a T in the left/smaller heater hose for this.
    Need to pick one up and splice it in, and then we're all set.

I'll post up the pic he sent later.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Here's the pic of the fitting in question.

Thanks for the pics, Sean!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Glad I could help Chuck!