Close

Thread: Masking trim

Default Masking trim

So just sitting here in the yard enjoying a cold barley pop and staring at my new paint. I just drove it home. Anything y’all would recommend before masking and painting SEM trim black? I’m not touching the paint for at least a month but when it’s cured.. For instance, should I scuff the portions of the bumper covers after I have them masked off before I spray? I’ll totally admit my ignorance here. Thanks you bunch of beautiful buggers!

FEP Member

Blue painters tape. Less sticky. Then scuff, wipe with alcohol, tack then spray.
    Last edited by KWH; 10-04-2021 at 08:39 PM.

I respectfully disagree with Blue painters tape. I hate the stuff. Sticks to itself and nothing else. Absolute crap IMHO, I won't use it for anything ever again.

Quality 3M tape either yellow or green depending on budget is the way to go IMHO. Both allow for crisp clean lines with no bleed through as long as applied properly. No you don't have to wait 30 days to do your trim unless you just want to. Wait 90 days before waxing or ceramic sealants, but otherwise should be good to go as is right now.

Assuming the trim is in good shape and doesn't need additional bodywork, I would tape off around the trim and then either use some Red/Gray Scotchbrite sanding pads or wet sand with 320/400 depending on overall condition of the current paint on the trim. I would then unmask and clean the car and trim really well of all sanding residue. Dry properly and allow to sit at least overnight for any residual moisture. Then tape off the trim again for spraying. I recommend 3M plastic masking for the rest of the car to prevent overspray on the actual painted surfaces. I have two of the masking machines with the serrated edge for cutting the folded plastic. If you don't you can use regular 1mil or 2mil plastic from Home Depot/Lowes. It's cheaper, but doesn't generally have the static cling of the 3M that helps to keep the plastic tight to the car body. Spray your SEM paint, allow to dry completely and then unmask. Either 3M tapes should allow for up to 7 days easy removal, but I generally like to remove within 24 hours for no issues. I have gone longer with no problems, but always want to think about it. Also when removing the tape directly next to the painted trim, peel up an edge and then remove slowly, but deliberately at about 120-150 degree angle in a straight line with the trim. This should cause any bridging of the paint onto the tape to "cut" at the tape line and not peel up the fresh paint. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 10-05-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I respectfully disagree with Blue painters tape. I hate the stuff. Sticks to itself and nothing else. Absolute crap IMHO, I won't use it for anything ever again.

Quality 3M tape either yellow or green depending on budget is the way to go IMHO. Both allow for crisp clean lines with no bleed through as long as applied properly. No you don't have to wait 30 days to do your trim unless you just want to. Wait 90 days before waxing or ceramic sealants, but otherwise should be good to go as is right now.

Assuming the trim is in good shape and doesn't need additional bodywork, I would tape off around the trim and then either use some Red/Gray Scotchbrite sanding pads or wet sand with 320/400 depending on overall condition of the current paint on the trim. I would then unmask and clean the car and trim really well of all sanding residue. Dry properly and allow to sit at least overnight for any residual moisture. Then tape off the trim again for spraying. I recommend 3M plastic masking for the rest of the car to prevent overspray on the actual painted surfaces. I have two of the masking machines with the serrated edge for cutting the folded plastic. If you don't you can use regular 1mil or 2mil plastic from Home Depot/Lowes. It's cheaper, but doesn't generally have the static cling of the 3M that helps to keep the plastic tight to the car body. Spray your SEM paint, allow to dry completely and then unmask. Either 3M tapes should allow for up to 7 days easy removal, but I generally like to remove within 24 hours for no issues. I have gone longer with no problems, but always want to think about it. Also when removing the tape directly next to the painted trim, peel up an edge and then remove slowly, but deliberately at about 120-150 degree angle in a straight line with the trim. This should cause any bridging of the paint onto the tape to "cut" at the tape line and not peel up the fresh paint. Good Luck!

No way I'd put 3M tape on fresh paint, just asking for trouble. I used the blue dozens of times just for this purpose and never an issue. You just can't leave it on long or it will release. That's what it's designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    No way I'd put 3M tape on fresh paint, just asking for trouble. I used the blue dozens of times just for this purpose and never an issue. You just can't leave it on long or it will release. That's what it's designed for.
    We can agree to disagree. Blue tape is 3M also, just designed for home use. I have masked off many vehicles that needed trim sprayed, another color sprayed, stripes sprayed time and time again. Never had an issue with either the Green or the Yellow tape causing issues. I have masked off fresh flashed off base coat with no clear for two tones with no tape marks at all.

I had my own restoration shop for many years and I have painted well over 100 Foxes plus unknown muscle cars, trucks, motorcycles over the years. The only time I have ever had issues in regards to taping or masking was when there was a paint issue due to the wrong temperature activator/hardener or improperly mixing ratio and the paint didn't cure properly. Most of your paints today are activated. Heck even many of your basecoats now are activated, so very few modern paints are not 2K, so curing is more of a chemical reaction and less of a drying/solvent evaporating situation than it was years ago with lacquers, etc.

In 30+ years of playing with cars, working on cars, and painting cars I have never seen a professional painter use blue 3M tape while actually spraying paint. I am not saying someone hasn't, but I personally have never seen it. If you are having good luck with the blue tape, then you are a better man than I am!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    We can agree to disagree. Blue tape is 3M also, just designed for home use. I have masked off many vehicles that needed trim sprayed, another color sprayed, stripes sprayed time and time again. Never had an issue with either the Green or the Yellow tape causing issues. I have masked off fresh flashed off base coat with no clear for two tones with no tape marks at all.

I had my own restoration shop for many years and I have painted well over 100 Foxes plus unknown muscle cars, trucks, motorcycles over the years. The only time I have ever had issues in regards to taping or masking was when there was a paint issue due to the wrong temperature activator/hardener or improperly mixing ratio and the paint didn't cure properly. Most of your paints today are activated. Heck even many of your basecoats now are activated, so very few modern paints are not 2K, so curing is more of a chemical reaction and less of a drying/solvent evaporating situation than it was years ago with lacquers, etc.

In 30+ years of playing with cars, working on cars, and painting cars I have never seen a professional painter use blue 3M tape while actually spraying paint. I am not saying someone hasn't, but I personally have never seen it. If you are having good luck with the blue tape, then you are a better man than I am!

Back at ya, nearly 40 years here in the P&B trade but no need to turn this into a pissing contest as my "credentials" and # of cars painted could easily exceed yours. I do believe the blue tape was to mask around the trim after a paint job, not to mask a whole car. "So just sitting here in the yard enjoying a cold barley pop and staring at my new paint." Less sticky tape, less chance to pull off fresh paint.
    That being said, your foxbody knowledge easily exceeds mine and I value your opinion why I refer to you from time to time.

As I stated, We can agree to disagree. Also if the blue tape works for you that's great. I personally won't use it for anything.

Wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest, just never seen anyone in the P&B trade use the blue tape for anything other than slight protection over fresh paint years ago when assembling parts and pieces. Never seen anyone use it to mask off for spraying. As I have stated many times, ask 100 painters how to paint a car and you will get 100 different answers. Enjoy your brew, I just got home waiting on some spicy shrimp and then I will be treating myself to an Adult Beverage. Maybe after that I will have enough motivation to get out in the garage and work on one of the many projects, but probably not. Been up since 4am this morning, so just not feeling it.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller