Close

Default Windshield, quarter windows, and hatch glass trim installation on an 86’ GT

Hello fellows,

so I’m hammering out dings and straightening all my metal trim and painting it to reinstall on a fresh paint job. I know The little clips that latch into the nailhead like mounting points are different sizes on the front and back trim and the quarter window trim uses some weird little wire clips. So I’m flummoxed on how to go about reinstalling this stuff! Do the clips get installed onto the mounting posts first and then the trim goes on or do I install the clips into the trim and try to install everything onto the posts.. probably a simple answer but even with my yellow belt in Google fu I can’t find any references anywhere! Help please 😂

For the front windshield and rear hatch glass the trim clips go onto the body "nailhead" like mounts first. You then pop the trim onto them. I cannot comment on the quarter window trim clips.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    For the front windshield and rear hatch glass the trim clips go onto the body "nailhead" like mounts first. You then pop the trim onto them. I cannot comment on the quarter window trim clips.
    Thank you Sir. I've been informed that it's recommended to install that trim from the inside with the quarter glass out. That's my plan. You've given me the other half!

As stated above, the windshield and backlite clips are placed on the mounting studs first and then the windshield and backlite trim pieces are set in place and gently popped onto the clips. Make sure to assembly the trim pieces together and set them in place on both the windshield and the backlite. Not doing so can make installation much more difficult, especially on the backlite.

The quarter windows are a pain no matter what. I generally install the trim with the quarter glass out, and then reseal and install the glass. The early 4 Eyed quarter trim has tabs that bend over the pinch weld and have to be installed that way. The later model 4 Eyes have the spring clips that you mention. They can actually be installed after the glass by sliding them into the notches on the pinch welds, but it is very tedious and frustrating work. I have removed the trim from several vehicles with the glass intact to save time, but installing is often too much of a hassle that way, so I just pull the glass. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

This is great info but some pics would be very nice.
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy