Close

Default 85 GT Clutch Recommendation

Hello,

What are some suggestions for a decent clutch for a mildly modified 302 - without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what breaks your bank in regards to clutch cost. Unfortunately it seems they all have increased significantly in price over the years. Valeo is a good company that makes stuff for Ford and can often be found at your common Auto Parts Suppliers. You will have to do your research and verify the parts as most are all private labeled these days and there's no telling who makes the part without looking at it for a brand name.

If you are considering aftermarket, then generally the price point will be higher, but hopefully so will the quality, feel, and durability. I have had good luck with Spec Clutches, Centerforce, Ford Racing (Valeo), and Mcleod. I know there are others, but I can't speak to them without personal experience. I have both a Spec and a Centerforce that will be going into project Foxes in the near future and I wouldn't hesitate to order from either again. As with so many things, everyone will have their own preference in regards to feel, engagement, etc. and that may cause you to lean to one brand or another. Not a perfect answer, but hopefully it helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The 79-85 uses the 10" clutch so not near as many options and as a result the prices seem to reflect accordingly. I agree with Trey there are lots of different options and opinions depending on power levels and preference for pedal feel depending on your situation. I believe it also helps to have a quality clutch cable/quadrant with fine adjustment capability such as a firewall adjuster.

However if you can upgrade to a flywheel that accepts a 10.5 clutch with dowel pins etc (86 and up) then it opens up more possibilities. When I built my 347 the aftermarket flywheel came with options for both 10 and 10.5 clutch patterns (which still fit my old 10" Centerforce clutch) but I decided to upgrade to the larger 10.5. It still all fits within the 83 T5 bellhousing I have so no worries there.

For what its worth I purchased a 10.5 M-Pact brand clutch kit from Rock auto. The price was very reasonable in my opinion and I have put it to the test several times with some occasional spirited driving and no issues so far. Car is not a daily driver so not sure longer term. Perhaps others have had experiences with them as well ?

The exact kit I bought and installed was the M-pact 07042ST15 which is touted as the mild modified engine/aggressive 20-40% performance upgrade but with stock pedal feel. If you sort through the different options for 86 mustang M-pact make a base model kit up to very aggressive kits etc.

Based on my experiences so far I find the 07042ST15 kit has a slightly stiffer pedal (not real noticeable) and is a bit more grabby off the start than compared to the stock LUK or basic Centerforce that I ran before etc....basically as advertised I guess.

After a bit of wear in and adjusting the cable for my preference I like it.