Close

Default Smog Pump - Manual vs. Automatic Transmission?

My car is a 1985 5.0 4bbl 5spd. It has been sitting apart for years and I'm trying to get it running again. I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

The parts places all list two different Cardone pumps that specify either manual or automatic transmission. The photos show the output port coming out the back on the manual and out the side on the automatic. I ordered the manual trans one thinking the photo is probably wrong but it is correct. The one from my car has it on the side with an elbow.

What is my car supposed to have?

Should I try the the automatic one? For some reason it costs over $100 more. Could there be other differences?

This car is pretty original and I'm trying to keep it that way as much as possible.

Mark

I am not aware of a difference. I want to say I have used spare smog pumps from both auto and manual cars in my Saleen with no issues.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I am not aware of a difference. I want to say I have used spare smog pumps from both auto and manual cars in my Saleen with no issues.
    Thanks. I'm starting to think their application list is wrong here. Seems like the one with the side outlet was used in hundreds of different vehicle applications so I guess I will start looking for a used one.

Every build sheet I've seen from a 1985 5.0L Mustang has the same "Thermactor Air Pump" code, regardless of transmission, except for those that were a "test vehicle" ordered by Ford. The bypass and diverter valves did have different codes for 5.0L 4V/T-5 or 5.0L EFI/AOD applications.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My Dad (previous owner of my car) was just telling me a story about this last night. The smog pump had locked up on him and he ran into the same problem. Bought manual transmission version and was not the same. He exchanged it for the auto trans version to get the correct one. This would've been back in the 90's. Parts store idiots claimed the car must have had the transmission swapped.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Interesting.... I still do not think there is a difference in the smog pump between transmissions. Could be in other models but I do not think in Mustangs. But... I am no expert either so it will be interesting to see if someone knows something.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Yesterday a guy at a wrecking yard tried very hard to help me. His database shows different pumps for manual vs. auto in 1985. Unfortunately his searches showed neither pump available anywhere near here.

This is what he showed me for 1985 Mustang A/T:

Exact Interchange Notes
    [274 (ALL)]
    FD $328 obs
    Ident: E3ZE-9A486-EA
    Ident: E3ZE-9A486-EB
    Ident: E3ZE-EA
    Ident: E3ZE-EB
    OEM#s: E3ZEEB,E3ZE9A486EB,E3ZE9A486EA,E3ZEEA,E3ZZ9A486E

And for 1985 Mustang M/T:

Exact Interchange Notes
    [280 (ALL)]
    FD $420 obs
    Ident: E6VE-9A486-AA
    Ident: E6VE-AA
    OEM#s: E6VZ9A486A,E6VE9A486AA,E6VEAA

Is it possible for an '85 to come with E6 parts on it?

I'm wondering if there is some central source of mis-information out there that everyone is using.

In the interest of moving on I decided to get one of the ebay rebuilds. At least the photos in the listing look exactly like the pump out of my car. It should be here in a few days.