Close

Default Converting an 89 5.0L to a carbed unit.

Putting an 1989 5.0L in my 1979 Zephyr. Converting it to a carbed unit. What’s the best or tallest intake that will fit under an aluminum dual snorkel factory air cleaner. Along with what distributor should I use ?

Unfortunately it's not a simple answer. Depending how your car is set up, year model, etc. fit can vary from one vehicle to another. Most can fit the Edelbrock Performer, Weiand Stealth, etc. under the OEM dual snorkle. I had the latter on my 79 PC. My new combo will be a Performer RPM and we will see. Some have been able to make it fit and others have not. The later Aero model convertible motor mounts are generally what I use and in most cases they give me a bit more clearance. The early cars require some modifications to either the mount or the K member for fitment. Some say the Energy Suspension motor mounts actually raise the engine position, but the Prothane do not. I have not used either, so I can comment. Obviously dropped motor mounts (solid) are an option. I had them on a 351W years ago, but the vibration and buzz was too much for me. That was essentially a stock engine. A truly race balanced engine might feel better/different.

If you don't want headaches, then go with the Performer and call it good. If you are looking for that extra RPM range and have an engine that needs it or can use it, then the RPM or the Air Gap is the way to go. Might have to work to get it all to fit under the stock hood, but there are options as mentioned such as dropped mounts, K member spacers, etc. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you want to use a carb, it's just a case of relaying off the fuel injectors via Impcos LPG relay, and running the EECIV computer. The MAF sensor from the 225hp V8 can be posted upstream and a 4180C 4bbl carb put on a Holley Street Dominator, Edelbrock or factory or Offenhauser 4bbl EO approved intake. All the stock Idle Air Control parts can be copied off the 1985 5.0 CFi or 3.8 CFi. The stock EGR and AIR and O2 and temp sensor emissions capability can remain. Propane trucks and taxis have been doing dual fuel Sequential EFi and upstream Impco Propane carbs since 1984 on rear and front front drive 3.0 and 3.8 Buicks with SEFi and CCC ignition. You just have to change the intake and disable the injector supply. The EFi is able to be kept stock, but modified to keep the air fuel controls in the expected open and closed loop values. A few carbs, like the Chrysler 5.2 liter 4 bbl 1986-1989 cars used GMs 725 cfm QuadraJet 4MC to go to a closed loop response to the electronic spark control. So did the 2150E Motorcraft 1.14 2bbl on some 1984-1985 2.8 and 5.0 trucks and vans. But the 4180C is able to lean cruise with the stock 1985 settings. It was designed to do what the 1986 to 1995 5.0 HO's do. The modification is technically illegal, but it's just the same process as Impcos old Command Module Fuel Controll System. You can use EDIS8, or do a base idle modicication to control idle tracking, which is done by using the earlier CFi 5.0 HO idle tip in, or the 1984-1986 CFi 3.8 Vee Six Essex Idle Speed Control. The stock 1985 4bbl carb HO was partly feed back controlled by a BMAP sensor with the ancient Duraspark II. There are three ways to revert back to a carb while still keeping your EECIV intact. The fuel pump system control is in Walking Tall's 3.8 liter 1986 Convertible DE CFi conversion.