Close

Thread: front end pops

Default front end pops

My 85 GT has a front end problem. Whenever I turn to either extreme left or right there is a popping noise and you can feel it also. It sounds and feels like it is coming from the front, maybe from the side you turn to. I have a set of ford service manuals but they did not address this kind of problem in the trouble shooting section. Any ideas and what I might need to do to get it under control? Thanks, Paul
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Holley 4180 5 Sp all stock!
    1957 Willy's CJ 5, 283 small block
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

I just redid the frontend of my '85. New control arms, outer tie rods, rotors, and brakes. My tie rods were in really bad shape. I had that "popping" noise you described and the now after all the new parts, it's like a new car. The popping noise is probably one or both of your outer tie rods.
    '85 mustang GT Loaded

Default new front end rebuild

I was thinking about rebuilding my front end. Any special tools you need? also, where did you get your parts and did you use high perf replacements? Cost?? thanks..I am in the process of redoing a lot to my 85 GT, still has 150000 original miles on the engine..I just replaced the ignition module, coil, wiring harness, heater core, flushed radiator, new 180 degree thermostat, rebuilt holley 4180, new cooling hoses..I want to get the powertrain in shape before I start on the interior.. Thanks, Paul
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS

I bought the control arms from Summit Racing for $180. They are the FRRP '96 pieces with the "new style" bushings and ball joints. I also upgraded the spindles to '87-93' style, bought used for $40.00. Reman. SVO 73MM calipers from Autozone, $12/per, SVO brake hoses, $25/per, new 11" rotors $42/per, 2)outer tie rod ends $12/per, and all new hardware. I also removed the lower spring isolator and cut 3/4 of a coil off of the bottom of the spring. It only took a weekend, and can be done with ordinary hand tools and two jacks. Appoximate cost $450 with an alignment. I find it drives a lot "straighter" now, doesn't "tramline" as before.
    '85 mustang GT Loaded

It can be a lot of things. Mine does it a little bit because i have a bad steering rack bushing. Check your outer tie rods and ball joints first. Most important.
    82 Capri RS 5.0 T-top

so what is your feeling about polyurethane versus rubber bushings? I was looking in a mustang supply mag and they were offering both types. Which would be better? I know to replace the ball joints that the whole lower control arm has to be replaced. I was also going to replace the sway bar bushings, and maybe some others. I don't think I will cut any coil spring off though. When you buy new tie-rods do they come as a set, or do you have to buy inner and then outer also? Thnks, Paul
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS

FEP Member

first off your popping could be the stabilizer bar bushings. tie rods are usually sold seperatly. and you can replace the lower ball joints without replacing the lower control arm, they are a press fit in all mustangs i have seen.