Close

Default Bench Test Ignition?

Has anyone ever bench-tested their factory Duraspark ignition? If so, how did you do it?

BG

Seems to me the parts stores might be able to bench test the duraspark boxes. I know they can test the later tfi modules.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Autozone used to have a tester. It's like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnbS2BWfzE

Nothing is full proof. Variable reluctor or Hall Effect sensors do the switching, and on some Durasparks, there is a crank sensor which won't show up on the ignition tester.

Big issue with any solid state electronic ignition box is: The spark must have Somewhere To Go. If-ing it doesn't, the capacitor inside might fry-ify. So dropping no 1 plug from the cylinder head with everything ignition wise hooked up, and with great battery and no fuel, doing a spark observation of the sparking plug tip by moving the spark plug fowards and back from earthing on the earthed iron of the block or head or exhaust header will confirm if the ignition i's working. Long and discombobulated. ...but its the way that works best.

heres it ! wire up a test jig. you could simplify that to just what you need

Name:  duraspark_2_wiring_diagram_correct_23135be1c3adbbfdbf465ff9b310c8ecad482032.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  70.1 KB
    Last edited by bigblok80; 09-25-2021 at 11:17 AM.