Close

New User

Default Interior trim code

In the process of replacing carpet in my 79. In my quest to find hatch area carpet NPD mentioned interior trim ID code. Where would I find that information. I don't see an indicator placement in the VIN number. Thanks in advance.

Also, I am relieved and disappointed that I am not alone with replacement carpet fitment. I thought it was just me. Like most, I am having trouble with scuff plate, edge cut being short with and additional out of place heel pad. It's so close to the trans tunnel it is 1/4 inch or so up on it. I had hoped the quality of the replacement carpet fitment would have been better. Guess I'll live with it for now.
    Nothing like the sound of a small block ford
    Four Eyed Fox Body Preserver
    Stock 1979 5.0 Currently Restoring
    83 Mustang A pure muscle streetfighter

INT TRIM code is on the door tag. First character is the seat type and material. Second character is the color. Third character, if present, is the deviation.

Interior color code is on the buck tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    INT TRIM code is on the door tag. First character is the seat type and material. Second character is the color. Third character, if present, is the deviation.

Interior color code is on the buck tag.
    Thank you for this info!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

1979 Mustang seat type codes (1st character of the "INT TRIM" code on the door tag)
    A = all vinyl seating, high-back front buckets
    B = cloth & vinyl seating, high-back front buckets
    C = all vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group
    D = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group
    E = leather & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (Ghia only)
    F = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (Ghia only)
    L = all vinyl seating, high-back front buckets (Cobra only)
    M = cloth & vinyl seating, high-back front buckets (Cobra only)
    N = all vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group (Cobra only)
    P = cloth & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group (Cobra only)
    Q = leather & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group
    R = leather & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets, with interior accent group (Cobra only)
    S = all vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (Ghia only)
    U = Recaro cloth & vinyl seating (Pace Car only)

1979 Mustang interior color codes (2nd character of the "INT TRIM" code on the door tag, and code on the buck tag)
    A = Black
    B = Blue
    D = Red
    N = Whiteš and Red
    Q = Whiteš and Blue
    T = Chamois
    W = Whiteš and Black
    Z = Vaquero
    2 = Whiteš and Chamois
    9 = Whiteš and Vaquero

š Seats and door panels where White. The rest of the interior was the primary color.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Mustangs were made at two assembly plants in model year 1979 -- Dearborn and San Jose (Milpitas, CA). Each plant had their own codes, and arrangement of those codes, on the buck tag.

For Dearborn-built units the interior color code was the second character - if not a "special paint" unit - on the second or third line of the tag. I say second or third because early 79 tags did not have the model line (MUSTANG) on the first line of the tag. The interior codes on Dearborn buck tags in 1979 were also unique, i.e. they were not the same as the code on the door tag, except for Black.

Name:  trim.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  42.5 KB

For San Jose-built units the interior color code was at the end of the first line.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-16-2021 at 08:21 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

New User

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the tag this weekend and see what it reveals.
    Nothing like the sound of a small block ford
    Four Eyed Fox Body Preserver
    Stock 1979 5.0 Currently Restoring
    83 Mustang A pure muscle streetfighter