Close

Thread: oil pan gasket

Layinlow

Default oil pan gasket

i have to change the oil pan gasket and the pan on my 84 mustang 5.0. The pan is a double sump. My question is what has to bolt off in order to get to the pan? It looks like a weekend job. Nothing is every easy with mustangs!

FEP Super Member

Pretty sure you will have to raise the motor to get the pan out. I have never done one with the motor in. But the pan may drop down far enough to change the gasket?? I always find a reason to pull her out and fix other stuff at the same time..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

gtluke

plan that you cannot get the oil pan off in the car. it can be done, but its quite tricky. you would at least have to remove the oil pump while the pan is still stuck in the car, and jack the motor all the way the hell up.

but really, just remove the pan bolts, and hopefully its the original rubber gasket and you can just peal it right off. if its cork, you probably are going to have to remove the pan so you can get the cork crap thats stuck to the pan and block off.
    then use tons of black rtv silicone all over the corners and pop the sucker back up. its a REAL pain job, but it can be done. you'l'l need some univeral joints or some swivel sockets