Close

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Well, in between the rain on Sat, I was able to get 2 more of the window regulators in the doors sorted.

We were busy most of Sun (when it was sunny and dry, of course) but I was able to deal with the headliner a bit.

This is how it arrived to me (After I had carefully removed it from the donor car)

I had the ABS, so I laid it out and made a new backer

Then laid out the material and glued it down.

I got it up in the car and held in by the dome light and was working on getting upper trim in place, when I realized that the only A-pillar pieces I had were pretty faded.

I shot them with some SEM dye, but have now been waiting for weather to behave so I can get back to working on the car. Supposed to be wet the next couple of days, so---
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Nice

I found a company in Ca that you can actually send them any plastic interior part and they match the paint to
    spray on with a real spray gun. My LTD had the lighter blue interior trim, which no one makes any kind of SEM
    (or any other type of paint) in that color.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Well, it stopped raining today. It's cold, but got to work anyway.

The headliner is up.

I need to find new visors, as the old ones are toast, and A new dome light assy. I think these are the same as the TBird/Cougar ones, which I may have a spare.

Next I drug out the steam cleaner and the upholstery cleaner to tackle the seats.

The rear seat base and the pass front seat were kind of gross.

The front driver seat just needed a quick pass with the steam cleaner, and the rear cleaned up pretty well.

They all could probably stand a second pass, but I'll wait until it's warmer.

After that was to reattach the shifter handle, which I took out of the way when I was pulling the console to get the dash clear to do the heater core.

Next I stuck the center console back in place. It's not the best, but it's better than the other one I have.

I then took care of the window regulator on the pass front door (And sliced my wrist open in the process), so I can now get the door panels back on all of them.

After wrapping up my wrist to finish up the pass door motor, I started getting some seats back in the car.

Once I get the rails back on the pass front seat, I'll drop that one in.

The console needs all of the buttons/switches put back, as well as the ash tray and dash center facia.

Finally starting to come back together. I just wish the bad weather would give up already.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 03-27-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

As of yesterday afternoon:
    - All seats are installed
    - Center console installed and wired (Need to secure facia, as all of the tab are (of course) broken)
    - Stereo and new speakers installed
    - Fired it back up again

Need to do list:
    - Swap out both passenger door lock actuators. Drivers ones work. Pass ones do not
    - Install glove box
    - Install 3 remaining door panels
    - Replace AOD pan/filter
    - Align front (Need to dial in a bit more neg camber)
    - Get floor mats (not going to ruin the new carpet)
    - Find replacements visors (83-88 TBird ones work?)

Very close to road-readiness now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

That headliner looks amazing. Do you mind sharing what you used for materials? I have the original headliner from my car but it is not in great shape and needs to be redone.
    Thanks.
    You're doing such a great job with this car
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    That headliner looks amazing. Do you mind sharing what you used for materials? I have the original headliner from my car but it is not in great shape and needs to be redone.
    Thanks.
    You're doing such a great job with this car
    Thanks. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it looks much better after I tweaked it a bit.

My backing board was toast, so I just bought that 1/16" ABS sheet on ebay. I wound up with a 4'x8' sheet, but a 4'x5' would've been fine I think. Just didn't have that option.

If your backing board is OK, then all you really need is the material and adhesive. You can buy the stuff just about anywhere, but I've been getting my fabric from HERE if I'm just doing the standard type of fabric.

We did a "fun" headliner in my wife's wagon a while back, and that works just as well. It was kind of a flannel material.

Got the two non-working lock actuators swapped out before dinner, so now all 4 work. Now I can get the door panels back on.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thank you so much
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

*sigh*

Well, I got the driver door panel installed after work today.

It's definitely in the worst condition of the bunch.

Why the sigh? Well, I get it all back together decide to test out all 4 power windows with the main switch. Guess which one doesn't work? Yup. Driver front.

It was tested when I installed it, so now I need to pull the panel BACK off and see what the issue is. Fun times.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 03-30-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Driver window motor fixed today and the passenger door is wrapped up.

Glove box installed, as well.

It needs the limit straps, and a little more "wiring management" behind it, but it's all in place.

Aside from a couple odd-and-ends, the interior is back together.

Floor mats are on the way.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Looking good, It has been pretty neat watching your progress.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Well, aside from a couple small details, it's time to start putting miles on this thing.

Took it for a short drive today to put more gas in it. As I was getting ready to leave, the new floor mats showed up.

Just the basic ACC ones, the same color as the carpet. The passenger side one doesn't fit the best, but it may settle down a bit.

I am going install a water temp gauge, just so I can keep an eye on things. Not used to driving a car w/o gauges. It felt a little hot after the drive, but the engine light didn't come on, so it was probably OK. Just would rather be safe than sorry.

I was going to mess with the camber adjustment, but after the car has settled a bit, it seems to be OK for now.

Gotta install some wiper blades and give it another good cleaning, but the plan is to get it on the road.

83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Wow it looks great! Great job on that car good for you!

Wow !! That turned out great. Reading all that you have done makes me feel very lazy.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

The steamer really helps relax the seat material from any imprints/deformations they may have received over the years. Looks really nice.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Wow !! That turned out great. Reading all that you have done makes me feel very lazy.
    I'm in the same boat!!

I feel like it's taking forever to get things wrapped up. I wasn't expecting the carnage under the carpet, however.

The wife is really excited to be able to drive it.

Still waiting on the sender for the temp gauge, so I can get that installed, and I have a couple small "upgrades" to do in the near future.

I also need to get my small list of "wanted" parts together.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got the sender for the gauge in place, but still need to finish up the wiring.

Today I decided to get rid of this thing. The old, original 60A 1G alternator.

I'd picked up a new 95A 3G, small case replacement

Aside from a different upper mounting bolt (M8 vs 3/8"), it dropped right into the existing bracket with no mods. I did put a small sleeve in the hole in the bracket, as it was quite a bit bigger than the bolt, and I didn't want it to shift any.

Next I pulled the old regulator and installed an 125A MEGA Fuse in place of it.

I made up some new 6ga cables from some nice welding cable

I spliced the ignition wire from the old regulator to the "I" connection on the 3G and also spliced the electric choke connection into the stator wire.

I'm probably going to buy another connector and replace this one, as the stator plug is kind of loose on the alternator. The terminals connect fine, but the lock tab doesn't do much.

All set.

With all the lights/brights on, this number only drops to 14.5V.

I haven't cut out the old reg wiring or alternator plug yet, but I will in the near future. They're just tucked out of the way for now.

Now, if I can find one more decent lens and another cover, similar to this one, I may install these on this car. I do have a pretty nice set of yellow fogs, but I was saving them for another car.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Nice job on that alternator!

Temp gauge installed.

I drove the car to pick up dinner past night, and I go to roll the driver window down and the motor just spins---

It was good when I installed it and now I get the tedious task of removing the door panel, etc AGAIN to fix the gears/bushings.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

As stated above, nice work on the alternator. Is that a new alternator, or a reman? Looks cleeeeeaaann!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I drove the car to pick up dinner past night, and I go to roll the driver window down and the motor just spins---

It was good when I installed it and now I get the tedious task of removing the door panel, etc AGAIN to fix the gears/bushings.
    Ugh! I always hate re-work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    now I get the tedious task of removing the door panel, etc AGAIN to fix the gears/bushings.
    LOL, my son can swap door panels in his Vic, like a pro. Hes been in/out so many times for various crap.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    As stated above, nice work on the alternator. Is that a new alternator, or a reman? Looks cleeeeeaaann!

Ugh! I always hate re-work.
    Thanks. It was a pretty easy install. I'd already had the cable and fuse for when I was going to do a 95A 3G in my Ranger. I *thought* I had an alternator in the garage, but it seems to have gone missing (Or I tossed it for some reason). This one is new and was only $100.

I noticed over the weekend that I'm going to need to raise the nose up a bit and/or roll the fenders. It grumbles a bit if I hit a bump on a turn. The front is kind of low. I don't think the previous owner installed any spring isolators when he did the front end work.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 04-11-2022 at 11:09 AM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

OK, well the window motor was a quick fix last weekend. After that, I shuffled the parking situation around in the back (Was moving the carport, so it's easier to get the TBird in/out to drive), so I was able to get a quick pic of both the Foxes.

Yesterday I messed with the ride height a bit and gained about 1/2" in the front by adding/removing some spring isolators.

While I was in there I discovered that the PO didn't bother with any spacers under the castle nut when he installed the SN-95 spindles, so both of the ball joint nuts were loose, and one side didn't even have a cotter pin in there...

Put it all back together with 3 5/8" washers under the nut and installed cotter pins. Buttoned everything back up and realigned the front.

Still trying to get time to get the paperwork sorted out so I can get over and get plates. Hoping to do that this coming week.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Oh man that would look so good with 5% Limo Tint, all-around. Ok, maybe 5% on the Backlite, 35% on all the sides. The only state(s) in the Union that are extremely strict are NY & PA. I think Limo Tint on the backglass, and like 50% everywhere else, haha
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-24-2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added text

Car looks great as it is IMHO

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast