Close

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Nice job on those taillights
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Nice job on those taillights
    Thanks. That housing was actually in pretty nice shape. Going to stick it all together at some point in the next couple of days.

I've got a mis-match of DS to PS housings and lenses. I have 1 loose DS housing that I can use, but it needs more clean-up and paint. The black along the top is faded, so I'll have to paint it. My other other option is to break apart the DS LTD assembly that I have, which I'd rather not do.

Still waiting to hear back on the availability of the pump assembly before I pull the trigger on new 90* fittings for the tank.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265105767914

Dang, says it's out of stock.
    But that looks exactly like the one i have.
    I remember i got the fittings that fit the stock lines at the tank to fit AN lines, at Summit i think.
    Last edited by massacre; 11-11-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yeah, that's the same as mine.

I don't need AN for this. Just going to replace the fittings in the stock hose.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, while I'm debating my fuel system details, I took time today to do a little work on other things that needed attention.

I finished up the PS taillight assembly

and cleaned up and assembled the DS one.

The black stuff I had to paint winds up not really being seen, unless the trunk is open, so I think it works.

Now the eye candy shots for those interested.

Yes, the trunk and rear bumper cover are a dark blue. It is however rust free.
    I do plan on taking that "Brougham" tag off and for now installing the old "LTS" logo. (I'll save the NOS one for later)
    I also need to scrape all of those stickers off of the bumper.

All 4 doors on this thing are shot. Especially the PS front. The lower 6" is just flapping in the breeze.

I have a 4 doors from the LTD LX parts car, which aren't perfect, but will be much easier to clean up and use.

The LTD LX was a manual window car, with power mirrors and locks, so I need to disassemble everything and swap the window regulator, etc over. The LTS is full power.

I have new weatherstrip and dew wipes, but I need to get some of the channel liner stuff.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I like my crank windows lol but i totally get why people like the power windows.
    Plus your car already has all the parts and wires for the power windows, i would probably do the same.
    You definitely have your work cut out for you, i wish you luck i'm sure you'll do a great job

Looking great! I do love that charcoal color.

You should post pics of the regulators. I'm curious if they are different 2 door to 4 door. I swapped my 2 door to power regulators.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I'm curious if they are different 2 door to 4 door.
    They are.

Work. Work. Work.

Waiting on parts, so working on what's taking up space around here.

Drug the PS rear door in for clean-up/teardown.

Doesn't look too bad, really.

Into the rust dissolver trough.

Front door drying before coating and sealing.

83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Interesting thread. If i still had my 85 LTD LX, prob would be doing same work by now.
    Even though it is work, the project is worth doing because the car is special.
    Those V8 cars are as enjoyable to own as V8 Mustang/Capri and have more space.
    Ooh front door vent windows would have been welcome for air circulation option.
    Did not know Merc had extra items like rear door panel grab handles

I repaired loose lower door skin panels on my doors and hatch areas.
    Carefully wheeled off and treated most of the rust, applied seam sealer and clamps to rebond the panels, repainted.
    Closed small holes with fiberglass bondo or metal foil tape.
    Solid fixs so far. The seam sealer wont rust and bonds real good after cure.

Can be made to look factory again or close enough. Not really a focal point after repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Work. Work. Work.

Into the rust dissolver trough.

Awesome idea.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Awesome idea.
    +2 That gives me some ideas.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

The refurbished taillights look great! What do you use on the reflectors inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    The refurbished taillights look great! What do you use on the reflectors inside?
    It's easy to make them look good with brand new lenses.

I just used a "metallic" silver paint. The finish matched what was on the "good" reflector I had.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Still waiting on the fuel pump to make the slow trip from California before I can get the tank/etc back in place. Was hoping to have it yesterday, but it looks like Monday now.

The spacers for the rear wheels showed up last week, so I can get to those installed soon.

I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped today, but I chose to tackle getting the PS doors ready to install.

I got the doors sealed and painted over the past couple of evenings, so they were ready to go.

Then I set to get the old doors off

As you can see, the original PS front door is toast.

I had a couple of spots of surface rust to clean up that was easy to access with the doors off.

Got both doors hung and installed NEW WEATHERSTRIP!

Still need to tweak the alignment a bit, but they are all sealed up and latched.
    The strikers all need to replaced, as the bushings are gone from all 4. That, in combination with the new weatherstrip is causing the PS front door to sit out a bit, even when fully latched, and the striker moved inboard.

You may notice the manual window regulators are still in there. I chose to mount them like this for now and see where I am when winter fully hits. I still need to pull all of the power stuff from the old doors, and I don't want to be stuck with having to leave a door sit without a working window in it.
    There is power lock and mirror wiring in there, and I can just tuck the window switches, etc out of the way until I get the power stuff moved over. I have door panels for both set-ups, so that's not even an issue.

We'll see what the weather allows for me to do tomorrow. Might try and get that water pump swapped out.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 11-21-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Great progress

The weather and other obligations limited my time on this today, but I did make some progress.

Got the old waterpump out.

Fun to find a mix of blue and clear RTV---

All of the pump bolts came out fine, and I probably could've had the new pump in place, but I opted to toss the bolts in the rust remover over night.
    I also dropped another one of the replacement doors in there too.

Another small thing was getting rid of the mangled front plate bracket. Don't need/want it, and it looks like crap.

I almost installed the headlight trims, but I need to replace the high-beams, so I'll hold off just a bit longer before I do that.

Weather will be the big determiner of what I get accomplished this next week. Fuel pump should be here tomorrow, but it'll be dark before I get time to mess with the car
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, the FedEx truck with the fuel pump is lost somewhere between California and here---

Was supposed to be here on Fri, but hasn't been scanned since it left the west cost 6 days ago.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Fedex driver stuck out in the desert somewhere.

Finally!

Showed up on Sat, but I've been away pretty much all weekend, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Also got door striker bushings and the remaining bits to wrap up the water pump install.

Hopefully I can get some time this next week (and decent weather) to get things installed.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Busy week meant I didn't get any time to spend on the car until today.

The result was THIS
    The car starts and runs pretty good, now that it has fresh gas and a new pump set-up feeding it.

Got the new in-tank pump mounted in the tank and installed a new vent/roll-over valve that was missing.

Also got the new H2O pump installed and that fixed the belt alignment issue. I'll replace the belt later. A little fraying on one end isn't going to hurt anything for the time being. I've bypassed the heater core for now, so I'm not dumping coolant into the interior.

Now, the tank and pump went in OK, but the frustration came when I tried to get the filler neck/seal/etc all in place.
    I get the hardware sorted out, and climb under the car with the filler neck-to-trunk seal and realize that the Mustang part isn't going to work. *grrrrrr*

So, I just stuffed the filler neck into the tank, so I could seal it up and get gas into it, but now I have to deal with finding a seal, or some other solution before I can put it all together. I really need a part number, but I don't have a good look-up for that sort of thing.

Things discovered today, some good, some bad.

- Brake booster is fine.

- The "big" leak discovered last time was actually the PCV valve that was missing all of its innards and not the booster. Once I capped that off (for now) and readjusted the base idle, things settled down nicely.

- Brakes seem to work OK, but the pedal is soft/has longer travel. No idea what one was installed, but it's probably too small for the Cobras up front. Once it's on the ground and I can drive it a bit, we'll see if I need to upgrade to a 15/16" or 1" bore master.

- The trans engages and seems to be OK while on the stands. I do plan on doing a fluid/filter change and replacing the pan with the pin-hole in it.

- Turns/blinker doesn't work. Well, the PS rear kind of works when the hazards are on, but not when the turn signal is on.

- Blower motor fan doesn't appear to work. Haven't dug into it, but seeing as I need to do a heater core, I may just replace that as well.

- The rear suspension bushings are pooched and the shocks probably are too. (I kind of expected that, and planned for upgrades in the future)

- Need to source a new harness -side TPS connector

Still messing with the doors. The PS ones are swapped and just need the dew wipes and things plugged in and panels installed. DS doors are ready to install.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Default So, I did a thing. '85 Marquis LTS

I still have my entire, as far as I am aware, unaltered factory harness from my LX if you would be interested in it to harvest connectors from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post

I still have my entire, as far as I am aware, unaltered factory harness from my LX if you would be interested in it to harvest connectors from.
    Appreciated. I'll let you know.

Ron Francis also makes a pigtail, which would work, but I also may just throw a weatherpack connector on there, seeing as I have a bunch and won't cost me anything.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Rain on Sunday and cold weather forced me into the garage to work on some stuff.

Decided to strip down the two old passenger side doors and get them out for the scrappers. Got tired of tripping over them and moving them. Harvested all the window stuff and the trim.

I also took care of making new dew wipes.

Got all 4 made and installed them on the driver side doors which are awaiting install.

No luck on ANY info on the fuel neck to body seal, but I have an idea brewing for a solution.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Inching forward.

The alterative filler neck seal showed up today and it looks like I can make it work with an adapter plate.

Donor is from a 71-73 Mustang (Cougar, Maverick, etc)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast