Close

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Awesome great progress!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

So what is next on the “To do list “? I’m sure it is way down the road but is a repaint in the future or is it a daily driver as is? You have done a lot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    So what is next on the “To do list “? I’m sure it is way down the road but is a repaint in the future or is it a daily driver as is? You have done a lot so far.
    Well, once I get everything sorted, the next thing on the to-do list is to drive it and work on something else. Paint may happen, but it's low on the list.

I had some time the past couple of days to get out and freeze myself while trying to make some progress on this thing.

I did manage to get the dash back in place and cleaned up a little bit. Next tasks on that are reinstalling the heater controls and sorting out the stereo wiring. Not reusing any of that junk that's in there. It had the factory amp in the middle of the dash, so I need to look over the wiring to get rid of that nonsense.

Next, I decided to work on the getting the carpet out, since it was OK enough outside to wrestle with it.

This is when I found more work for me to do. (You can see a hint of it in the first pic above)

Probably a half a dozen holes I need to tend to before I put the new carpet in. This is also all stuff that has come from the inside out. I imagine there was some standing water in this at some point in time.
    The passenger side front floor is the worst of it.
    Not really an issue for welding in this weather, but I'm going to have to get creative to get any kind of paints, rust treatment, etc to dry in this cold weather.

Vacuuming all that out kind of soured my mood, so I hopped under the hood to wrap up a couple of small bits.
    I reconnected the heater hoses to the core (and installed a restrictor) and replaced the missing bushing on the TV rod mount at the throttle body.

After that, my toes were freezing and I was at a stop point for the day.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 01-16-2022 at 09:24 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Small heater inside car with doors closed to help things dry. Under supervision of course just in case anything catches on fire...fumes. Will also help to pre-heat the interior as well to get the metal up some degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Small heater inside car with doors closed to help things dry. Under supervision of course just in case anything catches on fire...fumes. Will also help to pre-heat the interior as well to get the metal up some degrees.
    That was kind of my plan. I'd been using a small heater to try and warm things up a bit while putting the heater/dash back together.

I did find some sheetmetal in the garage, so I just need to get started on it. Also trying to figure out what I want to use over everything. I'm not planning on grinding all of that down to bare metal, so after I weld the patches in I'll just knock off the rest of the loose stuff and POR-15 or Rust Encapsulator it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I'm still waiting on one last bit of supplies to show up before I get into the floor repairs, but I've been fiddling with getting the dash back in place when the weather's been reasonable enough.

Lot's of cleaning, and still more to do.

What are some choices, besides Armor-All, to help treat, refresh some of the vinyl and plastic interior bits?

I also got my window channel liner material in, so I'm took a little bit of time today to install one of the window regulators.

Used the "proper" rivets and got that all together.

Easy swap, actually. Drill out the 3 rivets holding the manual regulator in place. Remove it. Install the power regulator with the 4 rivets in the proper holes. Drill 3 holes for motor bolt access. Mount the window motor.

I took a steam cleaner to the door panels yesterday, to clean them up a bit, so once it warms up to above freezing, I can get the vapor barrier installed and stick the door panel back in. I'm going to use the "caulk cord" and plastic sheeting for the vapor barrier, but it was a little too cold to work with the caulk cord today.

Trying to sort out stereo stuff too. It needs everything. I pulled the amp, and the harness, so that's all ready to go. I thought about adding door speakers too, but I don't want to get too crazy with it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I have had a bad experience with armor-all and tend to stay away from it. Used it just once on the vinyl top of my crown victoria (before the new top was installed) and within a day or two it had so many new cracks develop. That was enough for me to just steer clear of it from then on.

I like using 303 aerospace protectant. I have been using it for ten plus years now and really like it.

I use it on the interior plastics and vinyl as well as the vinyl top.

It does rejuvenate faded colors a bit so it does make things look really nice but not overly shiny.

I believe now-a-days you can find it in your local parts stores. Back then it was order only around my area. It is very popular with the boating community where it is used on the various vinyl materials found on a boat to help protect it from the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I have had a bad experience with armor-all and tend to stay away from it. Used it just once on the vinyl top of my crown victoria (before the new top was installed) and within a day or two it had so many new cracks develop. That was enough for me to just steer clear of it from then on.

I like using 303 aerospace protectant. I have been using it for ten plus years now and really like it.

I use it on the interior plastics and vinyl as well as the vinyl top.

It does rejuvenate faded colors a bit so it does make things look really nice but not overly shiny.

I believe now-a-days you can find it in your local parts stores. Back then it was order only around my area. It is very popular with the boating community where it is used on the various vinyl materials found on a boat to help protect it from the sun.
    +1 on the 303
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I'll give the 303 a shot. Thanks for the recommendations!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Huge project, but what a cool and unique car!
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

Got some semi-cooperative weather today, so I got a little start on fixing the floors.

I got the small heater going about an hour before I got started to warm things up.

I scraped, sanded, cleaned the rear floors and put down a coat Corroseal, to convert the rust spots.

The next task will be to cut out the two spots on the driver side and the one small spot on the passenger side to weld in the repair patches. Once that is done, I'll coat over it all with some POR-15.

Once I get that done, I'll move onto the real work on the front sections. Much bigger patches will be needed to fix those areas.

I may do the Corroseal prep on the spots that are just surface rust before I get to the big patches, but that all depends on the weather.

Got some of the 303 protectant as well. Looks like that's going to be a good solution to helping the rest of the interior bits.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So, after 3 weeks of cold/nasty weather and conflicting schedules, I FINALLY got some free time when the weather was nice today.

My goal was to get all of the holes in the rear floorpan fixed and sealed up.

Got out the cut-off wheel and had at it.

This was the biggest hole in the rear pan area. The rest were 2" x 1" or under.

Got it all wrapped up and a coat of POR-15 down over everything.

Now to get the front sections fixed. Hopefully it won't take 3 weeks to get to those...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Better weather is just around the corner, and some of it showed up today and allowed me to get some more work done on the floors.

Started with the passenger side...

Cleaned things up and cut out all of the structurally questionable areas. (None of this, aside from a small section at the front, was visible from below on the outside.

Then I moved to the driver side, which was marginally better.

Only a couple sections needed to come out.

I was running out of time, so I put Corroseal down on things.

Hopefully I'll have some time this week after work (weather is supposed to be OK) to get POR-15 down on the solid areas and start cutting out patch panels.

I picked up some 1/16" ABS plastic to remake the headliner backer (the PO managed to bend the original putting it in the car for transport...after I managed to get it out of the donor without a problem...). Trying to decide on a color. I hate light-colored headliners, so the original color will not be going back up. I'm thinking either a grey ,to match the bulk of the interior trim, or a blue that matches the seat inserts.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Great progress!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Great progress!
    Thanks. I could've had this done if the weather hadn't been so crappy the past few weeks. (Or I had room in the garage...)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So, it was 70* and sunny today.

Got the driver side floor finished up and got about half of the passenger side pieces cut out.

(Sorry for the sun glare...but really I'm not. It was the nicest work day in a while.)

It looks to be dry tomorrow, so hopefully I can get a couple hours in on this and get the passenger side done.

After that, I'll just need to hit all of the welded areas with some seam sealer, and then I'm free to start to reassemble the interior!

BTW, I REALLY hate doing this stuff. I HATE welding sheet metal. Plus all of the cutting and grinding. Messy business.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 03-05-2022 at 07:36 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Looking good! I am so ready for winter to be over

The floors are finally devoid of any "extra" holes.

Just need to get the seam sealer down on a few spots and then once that sets up, the interior is going back in.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Nice work! I barely know how to weld, and don't have any of the equipment to do it myself, so I'm impressed at what you've accomplished.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Had a few moments after work, so I let the little ones play outside while I did the seal sealer on the inside of the car.

Got that done and the front speakers installed before we needed to head back inside.

Still need to do the seam sealer from below, but the inside stuff will be set when I get back to it and stuff the carpet in.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Ope!

Yuck!

Need to buy headliner material, but we'll be moving along now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

A lot of times carpet like that cleans up nicely with hot water, soap, a scrub brush, and a power washer

That’s what Trey and I decided to do with my 85 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    A lot of times carpet like that cleans up nicely with hot water, soap, a scrub brush, and a power washer

That’s what Trey and I decided to do with my 85 anyway
    I've salvaged carpets before. Using a salvaged set in my Volvo daily-driver.

This carpet was from a car that had no windshield in it for 5 years, and languished unkempt for who knows how long. It was gross and not worth saving. Also, that big white splotch on the PS rear area is dried paint.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Nice weather and an extra hour of daylight in the evenings means I can get more stuff done.

Got the stereo wired up last night, so that's out of the way.

After work today I took some time to put the driver side rear door put back together.

Started with getting the new moisture barrier in place.

The door panels aren't the best on the back (some moisture damage), but at least they look OK on the outside.

I have to swap in the power window regulators in the other 3 doors before I can close them up.

Headliner material is due in tomorrow and I have the 1/16 ABS sheet to make a new backer on stand-by.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 03-18-2022 at 06:20 AM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Really like this build!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast