Close

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Well, over the weekend I was able to get the diff rebuilt.

I get it back together and check the axle slop. It's better but still way over spec.
    Factory limits are 0.005" to 0.030". I was still at 0.040" and 0.050". I think the issue is most likely these Moser axles. I don't have the original axles to compare any longer, but I don't see anything else being the culprit.

The factory manual suggests shims under the c-clips, to take up the excess, so that's what I did.

I cut out a couple of shims for each side and now my axial play is 0.007" and 0.012". I'm going to leave that as it sits.

Now just waiting for the gear oil to arrive and I can get the car back on the ground.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

That's a great idea, shimming the C clips.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post

I cut out a couple of shims for each side and now my axial play is 0.007" and 0.012". I'm going to leave that as it sits.

Now just waiting for the gear oil to arrive and I can get the car back on the ground.
    What were the shims made of?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    What were the shims made of?
    Metal shim stock material.

The instructions in the manual really aren't that great. They say to cut the shims to match the c-clips, but that doesn't work if you need a bigger shim than what the groove in the axle allows for. I had to cut the inside of the shim out more to match the OD of the axle.

No worries of them going anywhere, seeing as they're under the c-clip in the recess of the end gears of the diff.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, the gear oil showed up on Wed, so I was able to get the diff filled and that all buttoned up.

Drove it this morning and removing the axle play has solved the problem. The odd looseness in the rear of the car seems to be gone. No more "shifting" feel as the suspension has taken a set when turning or that odd little dance it felt like the rear of the car was doing at speed when the axles would float a bit when following the road surface.

I also swapped the speedo gear from a 19T to a 21T. It had been reading about 10% fast (as measured by checking against the mile (tenth mile) markers on the interstate. It's maybe off 1-2% now.

Just need to zero in the front alignment, now that things are all settled.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

So, the stat housing started to seep a bit the other day.

The prospect of never having to do one of these again is more than enough reason to yeet the 5.0 far from this car.

The fact that they never bothered to improve this design at all over the LONG course of the SBF lifetime is just sheer laziness. It's like it was an afterthought.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got the stat all buttoned back up. Had to do it twice, because evidently the stat shifted on me the first time.

Also needed to chase the threads on the longer bolt. Evidently its threads were boogered, and it messed up things on its way out.

Should be good now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yikes
    glad you got it figured out
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Yikes
    glad you got it figured out
    Yeah, thanks. Just a frustrating design. Literally EVERY other engine I've worked on is leaps and bounds easier to replace something as simple as the thermostat.

Hopefully this should be the state of the car until next season and I can just drive it. Going to keep it out of the wet/salt (I have the truck for that), but am going to try and drive it on the decent days.

Going to collect more parts over the next few months while I work on a couple other projects that need attention (valve seals and cams on my 850, and getting the small solar array installed/wired on the house. Oh, and finally getting to that wiring revision on the Tbird fans.)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

All they had to do is move the thermostat location to a top mount like a Cleveland or a Chevy

The last time I did this, I broke the top bolt on my housing when I was replacing the thermostat. I ended up cutting off the housing so not to risk breaking the harder to access lower bolt. Extracting the top bolt was hard enough as it is.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Or even just raise the thing 1/2", so the bolts aren't obstructed. A vertical mount isn't bad, as long as you have easy access to all of the fasteners.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, with the acquisition of the '86 wagon, and the plan to use the '11 3.7/6R80 in that, any drivetrain swap into this thing is on hold for the time being.

I do, however, want to address my annoyance with the TBI set-up (and stock engine management in general).

Not planning any power upgrades, but more drivability ones. I'm not in the mood to deal with the stock TBI stuff.

My thought is to ditch the TBI for a later EFI intake set-up and run the lot on a MegaSquirt unit. I could do it with an old MS1 unit, but they are discontinued, so an MS2 will have to suffice. I'll build it myself, because I can. No mass air, just speed density. No head swap. Stay with the TFI ignition.

The only "performance" thing may be swapping out the cast exhaust manifolds for a set of (factory) headers, but that's it. Trying to keep it quick and cheap.

I should be able to get my hands on some old stock Fox Mustang parts without much trouble to make this happen.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Well, with the acquisition of the '86 wagon, and the plan to use the '11 3.7/6R80 in that, any drivetrain swap into this thing is on hold for the time being.

I do, however, want to address my annoyance with the TBI set-up (and stock engine management in general).

Not planning any power upgrades, but more drivability ones. I'm not in the mood to deal with the stock TBI stuff.

My thought is to ditch the TBI for a later EFI intake set-up and run the lot on a MegaSquirt unit. I could do it with an old MS1 unit, but they are discontinued, so an MS2 will have to suffice. I'll build it myself, because I can. No mass air, just speed density. No head swap. Stay with the TFI ignition.

The only "performance" thing may be swapping out the cast exhaust manifolds for a set of (factory) headers, but that's it. Trying to keep it quick and cheap.

I should be able to get my hands on some old stock Fox Mustang parts without much trouble to make this happen.
    I got the MS designed to plug into the EEC-IV harness. Never used it yet, but someday.
    Would you then go to the port injection setup? I'm guessing those blocks were not roller cam, correct.
    (wasn't sure on the 85's, since HO was roller)
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    I got the MS designed to plug into the EEC-IV harness. Never used it yet, but someday.
    Would you then go to the port injection setup? I'm guessing those blocks were not roller cam, correct.
    (wasn't sure on the 85's, since HO was roller)
    Yeah, I'm pretty capable of building and wiring up my own MS unit. Some of what I do will depend on what parts I wind up with. Ideally I'll be able to grab an intake/injectors/fuel rail/TB and bolt that all up.

No idea if it's a roller or not. Guess I'll find out when the intake is off.

I'll probably also do valve seals while it's down, as it does need them.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

OK, so some parts have arrived.

The MS units are old MS1's with the V2.2 board. Pretty much the same thing I've been running the TBird on. Going to pick on and configure it for what I need for the 5.0 and run it.

I'll drop a WBO2 in it when things are assembled to get the tune sorted and then just leave it as a NBO2 after that.

I'll need to rework the exhaust Y-pipe for the new headers, but that's a non-issue really.

I'll work on cleaning things up while I'm working on the house projects.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Now that the big house project is done (Solar install), I can start to seed in car projects with the other house stuff I need to do.

Took a few minutes after dinner tonight to swap out the 17mm rear sway bar with a 21mm one I had in the stash.

Need to get the port injection stuff cleaned up and the MegaSquirt unit configured for this build now.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 09-09-2023 at 08:45 AM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Remembered I picked up a replacement for this a couple weeks back.

It was broken when I put the car together, but it held for a bit while glued together. Been dead for a couple months now.

Driver door lock actuator back in action.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I've just been kind of daily-ing this thing the past few weeks. I get a "thumbs-up" or some other sort of positive comment on the car at least once a week. Kind of amusing.

I'm looking forward to getting the engine stuff done here, so the drivability is a bit better. The TBI is really irritating.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I had a 85 5.0 cougar back in the 90's. That was the smoothest running and idling engine Id ever seen. Im sure time has taken its toll on yours.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Been working on getting the MS unit ready to install for the port-injection swap.

Took me a little bit to sort out how I wanted to to things, but I have a game plan now.

I'm making use of this old MS to EECIV adapter card that I've had for YEARS. I found some info and set it up for my install.

I took advantage of not going to need the ECU from the 86 LTD to pirate its connector to solder to this.

This all sits inside the stock ECU case and will connect to the MS unit via a cable.

Seeing as it was meant to use in an EECIV car without making any mods, I'm not really going to need to make any changes for the swap I'm wanting to do, and can reuse pretty much all of the existing harness that's on the engine now.

I'm going to remove any of the smog and EGR stuff (And repurpose a couple of the wires) and add what I need for the injectors.

Seeing as the old MS1 unit only has 2 injector circuits, I'm just going to batch them in groups of 4. I can use the old CFI wiring and split things off as needed.
    It's configured to run TFI, so no mods needed there.

Gotta assemble the interconnection cable and add some fusing for things before I button it all up, but it'll be good to get it wrapped up.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Supporter

Great thread and cool project! Can't wait for the next update!
    '85 GT

The weather here has been too cold to much of any work outside, so I worked in getting the MS ECU set-up together.

Got the ECU sorted with a couple needed modifications and replaced the old serial connector with a mini-USB serial adapter.

Got the firmware updated (it was running the OLD original stuff ) and got it set-up in TunerStudio. Did a few initial config changes for now and powered it up with the Stimulator to check function. All seems to be working well there.

Got some harness wiring and built the connector cable.

I made a provision to add a fuse holder to add some protection to the MS unit

It done enough for now, as I want to test it all out in the car before I button everything up.

I need to buy a couple more things and now just wait for some better weather, so I can get this going.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112