Close

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default So, I did a thing. '85 Marquis LTS

Against my own better judgement, I picked this up over the weekend.

1985 Mercury Marquis LTS

Came with a pile of parts (A bunch of NOS stuff) and some replacement panels.

More details as I get time to get into it. Primary goal is to get it sorted out and driving.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Cool!

Mike

That's a rare one. One year only (1985) and available only in Canada. Only 134 made. (Statistic courtesy of Marti Auto Works.) Can't be but a handful left.

Hope you can give it the time and effort it deserves.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    That's a rare one. One year only (1985) and available only in Canada. Only 134 made. (Statistic courtesy of Marti Auto Works.) Can't be but a handful left.

Hope you can give it the time and effort it deserves.
    SWEET. Restoration project, I would hope.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Well, I'm not a concourse restoration kinda guy, but it's not just going to be sitting and rotting like it has been for the past few years.

Phase 1 is to go through of all the mechanical systems and do a first pass at clean-up and cosmetics. This thing has had no TLC for a while. I want it on the road and driveable.

When I get a chance, I'll get pics of all of the NOS bits I have for it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

AWESOME. I love those.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

Wow. That is quite the score. Looks like it has already been five lugged swapped and has Cobra brakes up front. Looks like a good start to me.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Wow. That is quite the score. Looks like it has already been five lugged swapped and has Cobra brakes up front. Looks like a good start to me.
    It has 99+ 11" brakes up front, on 94-95 spindles. It came with new 5-lug axles and drums for the rear, which will work for now. Full set of Bullitt wheels should look pretty good on it.

It needs A LOT of TLC right now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Interesting.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 10-29-2021 at 09:22 PM.

There’s been 3 or 4 of these pop up on the LTD FB group. This one looks like one that was for sale on there not too long ago, came with I believe a LTD LX too.

Nice score!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    There’s been 3 or 4 of these pop up on the LTD FB group. This one looks like one that was for sale on there not too long ago, came with I believe a LTD LX too.

Nice score!!
    It is. The extra body panels and other bits are from that LX parts car.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Every project has to start on jackstands, right?

My September is going to be very busy, so I'm going to have minimal time to mess with this, other than some basic investigation, etc.

I do know I have some wiring issues (bad fusible links and rodents chewed up the TBI wiring harness) so an EVTM is on the way.

I need to source a new fuel filler neck, and I think I read the Fox Mustang ones will work, so I need to dig up something.

I'll need tires for the Bullitts and to wrap up the brake system install.

A new steering wheel is on the list, as the current one is junk.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Check those new edge calipers, the pistons are phenolic and they tend to swell, causing drag.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    Check those new edge calipers, the pistons are phenolic and they tend to swell, causing drag.
    I'll check them out, but I think these are fairly "new".

I had some time today to go through all of the stuff that was stuffed inside the car, as well as check out the NOS stuff.

Underneath, the only bad spot is the front of the passenger floor pan. That's an easy fix.

New front control arms and some unknown "lowering" springs. I'll see if those are worth my time. If they're something decent, I'll keep them in for now. If not, FMS "C-Kits" will go in the front.
    Exhaust is cut off just after the Y...so that will need to be taken care of.

Under the hood isn't terrible, outside of some bad wiring.

I forgot how much of a s&^%show the emissions stuff is on these things.

Lot's of cleaning to do, once I get all of this stuff out of here.

Last edited by Chuck W; 09-16-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

If you're so inclined to remove the upper rear seat, you may find a build sheet stuffed into the wire frame on the passenger side.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    If you're so inclined to remove the upper rear seat, you may find a build sheet stuffed into the wire frame on the passenger side.
    That's on my list of things to look for. I knew it was back there someplace.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Fixed the fusible link issue and threw a battery in it. Looks like we have power and the car starts and "runs". Need to fix the TBI harness, as it's only running on 1 injector at the moment.

Heater hoses were cut, so I need to replace those and refill the cooling system.

Once I do those two things, we'll see how it runs.

Tune up stuff is on the list, as if you look at the plug wires, they say "1987" on them...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the build/fix up.

Patched up the TBI connector wiring and now we're firing on both injectors. Runs better, but still needs a tune up.

It takes a bit of cranking/priming to get it to start, so I'm probably going to re-visit the PO's tank repair and fuel pump install, just to make sure we're OK there. Also still need to find a fuel filler neck.

Tossed some LX tail lights on it for now (they were on top of the pile of parts) to help seal up the trunk. It needs a weatherstrip around the perimeter, but getting rid of the 6 big open holes will be helpful.

Put in orders for tune up stuff, as well as a couple of weatherstrip items and other miscellaneous things. Going to be like X-mas around here.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I had 45 minutes or so this evening, so I pulled all of the parts (well 95%) of it out of the inside of the car, so I can get to cleaning, etc.

The carpet may be unsalvageable, but we'll see what a power-washing does to it.

I have nicer front seats from the LX, so I'll be pulling these out (anyone want them?), but the rear seat should clean up fine.

The PO bent the headliner board putting it into the car for travel (After I carefully removed it from the donor...) so it'll serve as a template for some 1/16" ABS to make a new one. All of the interior plastics are there, just need to be cleaned.

I also took a couple minutes to pull the seat back to get this.

I'm also debating on whether I want to use these or not.

I'm probably going to (eventually) do a basic SEFI swap, but I don't think these clear the intakes.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I’m almost positive that those will clear, I sat them next to my efi valve covers and they were the same height I want to say. I was going to clean them up and use them but it was just easier to use efi covers on an efi engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    I’m almost positive that those will clear, I sat them next to my efi valve covers and they were the same height I want to say. I was going to clean them up and use them but it was just easier to use efi covers on an efi engine.
    Well, I need to replace the valve cover gaskets anyway, so I'll probably clean these up and use them. I'll drive off the bridge of any clearance issues with an SEFI intake when I get around to it. Right now the goal is to get it sorted and moving.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

You should hang those pretty NOS pieces on the nose of the car. I wanna see!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You should hang those pretty NOS pieces on the nose of the car. I wanna see!
    I was going to wait until I got a little further along with things. Might as well let them stay pretty in the boxes for a little while longer.

Still trying to hunt down a 2-1/2" DS tail pipe. The order I placed for one the other day got cancelled due to no stock. (It was listed as the "last one", so I kind of expected that)
    No time to work on it for the next week-ish, so it's just gathering some parts and planning right now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast