Close

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

These showed up today.

Now let's see if the weather will behave this weekend.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Love these! Congratulations! Wish i had an adjustable spring perch
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Had a couple hours after finishing up other house tasks to work on the car.

I took some "before" ride height measurements and got the hind end in the air.

So far every single bolt has come loose without issue. I got the springs and sway bar out of the car and have gotten the driver side arms out and the new ones in.

I decided to just leave the bushings on the axle alone for now. They didn't look terrible, and I wasn't in the mood to mess with getting them out while lying on my back in the driveway.

Hopefully the weather behaves tomorrow so I can finish things up, but it looks like it's supposed to rain most of the day.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, it finally stopped raining late in the afternoon, so I was able to take a little time to get it all back together.

RCAs installed and the car is back on the ground.

Need to check/adjust rear ride height and check the alignment on the front.

I did find a couple of annoyances in the rear end when I was working on stuff.

The (Moser) axles have about 1/8"-3/16" axial play (in and out), which seems a bit much. Also the driver side axle seal is evidently bad (thought I replaced it when I did the axles) and it has coated the brakes with diff fluid...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Bummer on the seal
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Bummer on the seal
    Yeah, I'll deal with it later. Got to get in the mood to deal with the slop of draining a diff and replacing drum shoes...

Doing some reading, the excessive axle movement is probably spent diff clutches.

I've been contemplating an 8.8 swap in this thing, but I'm not ready to mess with it. I'd like to keep the same gearing (or near it), as it's close to the rear gearing on the V6 2011 Mustang.

Rebuilding the current diff wouldn't be difficult though, and this thing isn't going to be getting "launched" much.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, these arrived this past week, but I've had almost no time to mess with them. (Used set of BBK CCPs)

Got about an hour to mess with them at the end of the day today, but need to get aggressive with cleaning up the upper part of the stock strut boot to get them to play nice. Hopefully I can get things wrapped up in the next couple of days.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Finally got the time to wrap things up on this today.

Got the CC plates in and the front realigned.

While I had the car in the air, I decided to swap out the obviously worn front sway bar bushings.

It looks like someone had used the sway bar for a tie down or a tow location at some point.

I tossed the brackets in the ultrasonic cleaner, bent them back into the proper shape and coated them with some POR-15 before installing the new bushings.

I wound up dropping the rear around 1/4" with the adjustable RLCAs from where it was. I added upper isolators, as well. I'll let it settle a bit more before adjusting the final height in the rear.

It was getting dark when I wrapped things up outside, so no new pics yet.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Nice! Should improve handling

Got a good drive last night, as we drove across town for a party.

Everything feels pretty good, except that "looseness" is still there in the back. After having things apart and knowing that the rear suspension is NOT the issue, I think that the axle slop might be the culprit.

Basically what happens is when you turn, or change direction, there is that moment where you feel the rear suspension take a "set" as the weight transfers. What is happening is that there is a slight bit of "extra" feel of movement. I think it's the axles shifting that extra bit and giving that quick "oh ****" feeling as the car finally takes a "set".

I know NOTHING on the suspension is loose. I've had a wrench on every single fastener, and most of it is now new.

It's much more manageable now that the steering rack has freed up a bit with the fresh fluid, and the added caster has helped fix the steering centering, but it's still there.

Looks like I need to get rebuild the diff, or go ahead and mess with getting the 8.8 stuff together and swapping that.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I checked the spec for the axle end play and the limit is 0.030". I'm at 0.070" on the pass side and 0.125" on the driver side.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got a pic a couple days ago when I drove it to work. Kind of weird distortion on the back, but it shows the current ride height.

Also got the 3.7 and trans separated over the weekend and the engine up on the stand. I see no evidence of leaks, but I should get a small list of seals together to replace and get things cleaned up. That 6R80 trans is a chunker...oof!
    Last edited by Chuck W; 09-28-2022 at 10:33 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Looking good! Is that a volvo in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Looking good! Is that a volvo in the background?
    Yeah. That's my '78 264 waiting for me to spend time with it.

On the LTS, I think I'm just going to rebuild the diff in the 7.5 for now.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I had an 80 D-244 a long time ago. I really enjoyed driving that car. Best car i ever drove in the snow. Unfortunately i was parked and some lady hit me head on at 35mph and the car was totaled. But that car saved my life,

They're great cars. I got back into them about 15 years ago.

While driving my '85 GLT I had someone turn in front of me (They couldn't see on-coming traffic and turned anyway). I T-boned them doing at least 40mph.

I walked away with no scratches and just some muscle strains. They went to the hospital. Luckily they had their young child on the driver side of the car and she was unhurt. I had a moment of panic when I impacted and all of the windows broke out and I saw the kid in the back.

I had the car towed home. Pulled the radiator off of the front of motor (the only leak was from the busted windshield washer reservoir) and drove it up into the driveway (and them promptly stripped it.)

This one sat in a garage from '91 until about 4 years ago in TN/NC. Has 67K on it (But I'm puling all of the drivetrain/susp/brakes)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

My car looked similar, wasted from the windshield forward. Windshield back was basically fine.

Put the engine from the LTS in the Volvo!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Put the engine from the LTS in the Volvo!
    That would be a downgrade from the plan.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got started on the TrackLok rebuild today.

I'm debating pulling the whole axle out of the car and cleaning it up and putting some paint on it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Is this the 7.5?

Yup. Not messing (or spending) on an 8.8 currently.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Didn't even know track-lock was available for a 7.5.

Yeah. Some of the '83-'84 cars came with a Torsen cone-type diff instead of the clutch-type here. I know the 7.5 from my '84 XR-7 was a Torsen.

The LTS (and LTD LX) came with a 3.27 TL rear end from the factory.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Yeah. Some of the '83-'84 cars came with a Torsen cone-type diff instead of the clutch-type here. I know the 7.5 from my '84 XR-7 was a Torsen.

The LTS (and LTD LX) came with a 3.27 TL rear end from the factory.
    Learning a lot in this thread. I had no idea Ford ever had a Torsen. Wow.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast