Close

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Dang
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

cmon man, what is it!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

My guess is ecoboost
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I've already talked about what I was thinking about doing.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got it stuffed into the garage after work. Needs a little more cleaning than expected, but that's not a big deal.

They kept the harness complete and I have a PCM. It really looks to be pretty cut and dry. I need to hunt down wiring schematics, though.

This isn't a NOW project, but I'll be getting things together to tackle it next year.

I did get the new temp switch for the fan and it works as intended. Came on at 200* and shut off at 180*. I do need to go ahead and run that through a relay on a switched 12V so the fan will shut off when the car is turned off (currently just have it on 12V constant).

The AC blows cold pretty much instantly, so I think we're good there once I get the fan stuff sorted.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Awesome

Well the low speed fan control relay for when the AC is on is done. I tapped into the switched side of the A/C WOT cut-out relay. It's live when the AC is switched on. It's before the relay, so it'll stay running even when the clutch is cycled off, either due to pressure or the WOT switch engaging. That should be fine. We'll see how it goes.

Still trying to locate a good switched 12V source in the vicinity of the high-speed fan trigger, so I can get that to shut off when the car isn't running.
    Last little thing before the electric fan/AC project is completed.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Not sure of the particulars of the ecoboost PCM/cooling fan, but i wired my fan controller to run the cooling fan with the car not running, as long as the temp sensor calls for it. I noticed that my S197 mustang does the same thing from the factory. Your new PCM may have the same feature? Not sure but something to think about maybe.
    I love this project.

Yeah, I'm aware that the engine swap will change things and probably require less extra components to work. The current goal is to get these couple of bits sorted and drive the car for a bit and have working AC.

Our Volvo 850's fan is controlled through the ECU and has a much more complex control routine than "AC on? Low-speed. Too Hot? High-speed". Spent a bunch of time digging into engine swaps, COP conversions and ECU flashing for those.

I'll be digging into the particulars of the engine management for the 3.7 (This isn't an EcoBoost 3.5) over the next few months and sorting out changes needed to ancillary systems. I know I'm going to probably have to look into the electric PS pump set-up, as I'm not going to switch to a manual rack, nor try and fit a belt-driven pump in there. There is a decent swap of a Volvo pump for this purpose.

The goal here is a good balanced driver, which is what these cars were supposed to be. This car weighs around 400# less than the Mustang, so the "measly" 305hp should be plenty.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Gotcha. Get it working now, solve the problem later. No shame in that game lmao.
    So is this a naturally aspirated 6cyl?

Well, the solution will change later, but so will solutions for a few other things, so it's no big deal.

Yeah, it's the 305hp NA V6 with a 6spd auto. People gonna fuss, but I'm not going to be told that I'm having fun wrong.

This car will see regular usage by my wife, so it needs to stay auto. As mentioned before, there is no need for a Coyote or a 3.5 EB here, and both were out of the budget anyway. A worked 5.0 SB was never an option, at least for me.

The plan is to do the drivetrain swap, and run it stock. The 7.5 will stay for the short term, as it has close enough rear gearing to the 2011-2017 V6 cars, and we'll 8.8 it if/when needed. The only mods may be an exhaust, and the large bore throttle body, but for now the initial goal is to get it in place and running properly.

I'm actually postulating a 2.7 EB V6 swap for another project, and this will also help with familiarity with the newer powerplants.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I'm having fun wrong
    I suppose it's a little like having an opinion about modifying any limited production car. I may have callously ripped out all the original "special handling suspension" in my limited production car. I can't say I wouldn't do the same with just about any '80s car. How about an '86 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2? Super-rare, but begging for more performance.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The 2.7 is no slouch. I have one in my current Lincoln, and had one in my previous Lincoln. Great performance and good mileage

AC and fan wiring is complete.

Now waiting on the MM RLCAs.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Of course this had to happen on the drive into the office this morning.

Just get on the interstate to go across town. As I'm slowing for traffic, I notice some steam coming out from under the hood.
    I get stopped, pop the hood and see a steady stream of coolant coming from the hose/T. As I walk around the car to get a closer look, the thing breaks completely, dumping coolant everywhere.

I have no tools in the car.

I turn off the car and try and figure what I can do. I called the wife to see if she could bring me tools and some coolant.

Looking at the split, I see the end is busted off inside the hose.

Digging around in the car, I find the stereo removal tools in the console. (Cheap stamped steel ones). I grab one and am able to loosen the hose clamp. I then break the busted bits in the hose and get them out. I put the end of the hose back onto the remnants of the T fitting and tighten it with the stereo tool.

I fire it up and it's not leaking, so I get it off the interstate and get it the 3-4 miles back to the house. (Called the wife to wave her off, as I was on the road again).

It makes it home.

I let it cool, vent for a few. I had a couple of those cooling system flush T's in the garage, so I remove the heater control valve thing and put the T in it's place. Fill the cooling system back up and drive to work.

Upside. The AC and the cooling fan did great!(Never got over 205*)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I think you have to jump those two wires and plug the vacuum lines to it and your HVAC mainly heat will work in all positions. That was the thermal blower lockout switch preventing one to blow air onto your feet before a certain temperature was reached.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I think you have to jump those two wires and plug the vacuum lines to it and your HVAC mainly heat will work in all positions. That was the thermal blower lockout switch preventing one to blow air onto your feet before a certain temperature was reached.
    Well, with the valve removed, it's not stopping anything currently.

It's not a bit deal right now. I'll get a replacement (maybe), or just remove it altogether.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Wow
    glad you were able to get her back home
    could have been bad

FEP Senior Member

Boy I hate plastic coolant fittings. Glad you were able to MacGuyver a fix (brilliant work) and get it back home. A real man never calls for a tow truck. One of the guys in our machine shop here a few years ago had a mid 2000's Sierra with those plastic heater hose connections on the firewall. One of them blew apart as he was pulling into the parking lot one morning. It is crazy how much coolant he lost in a very short amount of time.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Sorry to hear about your break-down. I would be so overwhelmed.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I was just more frustrated by the fact that I had NO tools in the car.

Other than needing to un-dilute the coolant mixture before winter (Didn't have any extra coolant in the garage, so just used water), things are fine for now.

This showed up the other day.

Honestly I think it's going to be more work to separate the OLD engine harness from the car, than it is going to be to drop this one in. It's all pretty self-contained, and aside from getting the PATS disabled and a couple other details, there really is nothing fancy that will need to be done, wiring-wise.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Well, my MM RLCAs have finally shipped, so I'll be able to take care of the rear susp work soon.

I got the stock set of RUCAs boxed and painted and the poly bushings installed, so those are ready.

After some more checking, I think I am going to need to get some CC plates for this thing. I think the main issue on the front is the fact that it doesn't re-center very well after turning. This makes it a bit "fun" at speed. Lowering it probably took out any positive caster that it had, and that coupled with the wide tires just exacerbates things. Guess I need to budget for those now.

At least the cooling fan/AC thing is all sorted out. I've driven it back and forth to work on a couple hot days the past week or so, and the trip home usually involves sitting in slow construction traffic. It's nice to inch along, car staying a nice 195-200*, while the AC is keeping things nice and cool.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Arms look good!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post

At least the cooling fan/AC thing is all sorted out. I've driven it back and forth to work on a couple hot days the past week or so, and the trip home usually involves sitting in slow construction traffic. It's nice to inch along, car staying a nice 195-200*, while the AC is keeping things nice and cool.
    Jealous you have AC, I'd drive my car all summer if I had it!
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

I like the 3.7 in my '17 Mustang. 300hp and a nice, flat torque curve. Your LTS weighs 300-400 lbs less which should only help that V6
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast