Close

Default Fairmont 2.3 to 5.0

Hey guys, I have a 1980 Fairmont Futura coupe with a 2.3 and a 4 speed manual. It runs well and keeps up with traffic but there isnt much going on when I put the pedal to the floor. I had a 1980 Mustang with a 2.3 turbo, 4 speed and TRX suspension earlier and I really miss the power (and handling)

I'm considering a 5.0 swap and I was wondering what I would need, I know that the 5.0 fits right in a 4 cylinder model, but what about the gearbox, is it the same 4 speed the 79 Mustang and 78-79 Fairmont with 5.0 had or totally different? And what about the radiator, power steering pump and so on?

The radiator spot is the same size, just make sure it's thick enough to handle the larger motor. If you go through the trouble of a motor swap, install the correct radiator.
    The SROD 4 spd isn't so easy to find parts for. Why not swap to a T5? I know the T5 was different when behind a 4 cyl than behind a V8.
    Assuming you stay carb'd the swap is not super difficult or anything.
    What rear end? A 7.5 will last ok behind a V8, but don't forget it's there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"