Close

Default 1980 Door panel removal

Is there a screw im missing? I got the mirror, the door handle, the window handle, and the 2 armrest. Went around the perimiter and popped all the retaining clips. The top doesnt seem to want to budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I thought the door card was like mine but that is a different armrest pad than my Capri. Too early in the morning. I’d bet that the pad has to be removed somehow.
    Last edited by WilliamCapri; 09-11-2021 at 06:17 AM.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Thats what i was thinking. Theres probaly screws under the arm rest pad, i justd didnt want to yank it out n possibly ruin it

FEP Supporter

It may just be tight on the dew wipe seal on the top of the door and may need a little persuasion.

For the handle, the top and bottom has a retainer and the bottom of the armrest has clips that push into the panel.

Here's one of my spare pairs of armrests. You can see the two metal inserts for the screws.

Name:  IMG_4644 1979 Mustang door pulls (1) (Medium).JPG
Views: 60
Size:  134.3 KB

Here is the best picture I could find of an early door with the panel off:

Ok thanks. Guess ill just keep tryna pull it off.

Top channel of trim panel hooks and hangs on window sill part of door frame.
    Panel lifts off once all retainers are removed. Move panel sideways to clear door lock button.
    When reinstalling, first poke door lock button into its hole then rehang panel.

Check for more panel retaining screws.
    One is hidden underside of armrest pull handle at the top. Fastens top of pull handle to door.
    One is at front of armrest at bottom of pull handle section. Is orientated on an angle.
    One is behind armrest approx center of trim panel. Remove armrest for access.
    Note orientation of window crank panel spring.
    When reinstalling window crank, clock to match other side. 10-11 o'clock works good with window all the way up.